What are the latest trends?

Who ever thinks the Rat rod 'trend' has gone isn't following car show reviews.
Seems the major 'rat' shows across the border are getting bigger and bigger.
I'm a dedicated follower of fashion not a trendsetter.:D
I think we will see more and more small cubic inch high horsepower motors being slid between the frame rails of Rods.

I was hoping it wasn't true...(rats), but you may be right....I like big power in small packages too, but that doesn't explain my 85HP flattie....

I myself want to see more fenders.....

99% of the people cant tell a rat rod from a jalopy and dont care.And sadly a lot of so called car people are lumped in there.My own personal opinion the rat trend never would of got off the ground if it wasnt for the backlash of the rest of the car community .Nuthin better then going against the grain. left on there own they made a lot of stuped basic mistakes. Now to joe public a rat rod is anything without a new paint job. I see adds all the time now rat rod 25.000 and the first thing that comes to mind is where did this clown get the car to sell. Im sure the original rat rod builders have moved on ashamed to be associated with rat posiers.myself i like to drive my stuff so my 57 and the 33 im building are work trucks daily drivers so no im not going to spend 10 grand on paint. the 33 came with a 4 cylinder ford and is going back on the road with one just happens to have the turbo on it Henry forgot.

I don't really follow trends. I've always been drawn to the "traditional" look so that's what I try to build. One current trend that I hope drops off soon is the huge wheels with rubber-band tires look. That might be ok on a modern car but I think it looks ridiculous on anything older than the 90's.
I'm with you! Build a traditional hot rod and it will never go out of style, they're timeless. The WORST thing you can do on a hot rod is put on the 18-22" wheels and band aid tires - looks rediculous! The other thing that so many guys do is mix 2,3,4, or more themes into their car - stick with the theme. Nothing worse than building a traditional hot rod then putting a billet steering wheel and column on it.

If you want a trendy car, build it out of a catalouge. If you want something original, buy something original. If you want something no one else has, build a custom. Biggest thing is decide how much you want to spend and look in that price range. You can usually buy cheaper and faster then you can build, especially if you can find something "almost done". I think most buy something they like and then personalize it.

I think the 'murdered' trend can get kicked to the curb anytime soon. As for 'rats' they have thier place and thier followers, just not really understood by everyone. Personalization is what it is all about, I have always wanted a lowered/customized 50's truck that went like a scared rabbit, so thats what I am building.

My trend is OEM just as GM did it in 1945 when my Olds rolled off the production line. Factory 2 tone exterior paint colours, woodgrained garnish molds and dash, factory broadcloth interior trim and column hydramatic drive (700R). I've even upgraded the OEM gauges to new electronic movements so they look original. Add a few period correct NOS accessories and emblems and lots of original shiny brightware.
I cheated with late model IFS & IRS with airbag, these are hidden underneath; but added an old time 6x2 'Fauxsmobile' SBC (383) crossram with 97s and a Powergen. AC & PS will be hidden as well.
A bit hard to improve on what the factory put together except that us Ozzies have to put in new seat belts, only compromise I guess.

swade paint

I realy like most swade cars But they still are A trend . Wether its Candy or swade paint Its your choice .. What I said still stands about swade was not tradtion as I remember it in Ont. I was in 2 car clubs in the 60,s & our racecar was sent home from Cayuga for being in primer We where told to come back when the car was finished LOL. We drove our cars to all the car shows .I Still dont use a trailer . I think the after market was good for hotrodding because a lot of good car guys got busy makeing a living & raising a family or dont have the skills or tools [like myself] Gord