1935 Ford Project -2Dr Sedan to 3W Coupe

...thanks AJ. It's coming along as I pictured it before I even bought the body -not cut for cut, of course -but for the overall visual effect. The chop, the top location, and the alteration of the body reveals and eventually the rear deck, should confuse lots of purists as to what's been done. At first glance, it will look like a chopped '35 coupe, then the details will come out and add to the mystery....

I was just looking there Dave and mate you could have made it into a Coupe Ute, now that would also save a bit of work to and you'd have something different to. Maybe Google Ford Ute's. With that roof you have it would look even better.

...somehow, John, I don't see a sport ute as being a salt car. Maybe someone has done one somewhere but that's not my direction in this build.....but thanks....

This update is about 'rationalizing' the shape of the door-top and window frame to be some kind of crazy, elongated, squashed, egg shape so prevalent on salt cars. In addition, one has to respect the sweep of the drip rail and it's transition into the rear deck.

On top of all that, there is this. One of the 'endearing' features of a 3-window coupe is that there are no separate vent-windows ('no-draught' for you old guys) to clutter up the top/door/side glass design. What some people may not realize is that there is a vent capability built in to the window cranking mechanism.

When the window is fully open (glass all the way down) and you start cranking the window up, what happens is that it goes up but with the last 3" or 4" of travel, it actually moves up and forward in the door to seal against the front door post. If you stop cranking before the top stroke, as it were, the glass will provide you with a vent-style opening before it is completely closed. There must be some kind of weird eccentric cams at work in the cranking mechanism to accomplish this.....or maybe it's just Henry voodoo....I don't know.

All this comes into play when you are chopping the door tops. I wanted to preserve that window action, where others would say 'screw it', I say 'keep it, it's original, it's unique, it's cool'. However, when it comes to the chop and reshaping the door tops to keep that window action, nearly all Hell breaks loose. These pics denote many hours of trial and error and compromise, modified arcs, arches, straight bits, etc. It's enough to make a fabricator throw body hammers around the shop. It may or may not be the final version, but the struggle is there with great promise.

Dave, you have more guts than I do to have a car cut up so radically. Can see your vision (I think) and it is looking good. Will be following along.

Canuck

...thanks Canuck....after a ton of thinking, I could not convince myself why it wouldn't work. Lots of people are wondering why go to all that trouble when you can get a half body and graft it on or a whole '35/'36 three window and cut it up. Quite frankly, I could not cut up/chop a 'natural' three window -they are just the coolest as is.
I like to look at the possibilities for 2 and 4 door sedans and their potentials as hot rod material beyond the 'street rod' environment and so many different elements began to fall into place (certain parts being available in my garage, other parts available for good prices, and nearby amazing expertise) that the car was almost begging to be built.....weird, but true....

...body hammers did not get thrown (Stony is too much the professional) and the door frame, drip rail, body reveal, and door flanges have been resolved for the drivers door. The most difficult line to nail down was the drip rail/door profile transition to the descending body reveal that eventually wraps around the top via the rear deck. The trick (or challenge, should I say) was to find a line that actually looks like a chopped coupe rather than an a quick excuse for getting the top back together (if that makes any sense).
Next is making a series of templates to construct the same door frame etc on the passenger side.....

Coming along nicely by the looks of things. No easy task I'm sure. Chopping my 37 coupe should be a walk in the park compared to this but somehow I'm sure it will be a challenge as well. Looking forward to more!

What process are you using to weld the panels? Mig, tig, oxy?
Dean

Last edited:
...thanks Frank....I think it's reached just beyond what I call 'ground zero' when instead of cutting down and chopping up, the 'building' process begins and one starts to see shades of the final result...

Dean thanks....I would imagine that the drip rail/door tops, etc will be the biggest challenge in your chop and you will rise to the occasion, judging by your previous work.
As I mentioned earlier, I am not doing this incredible work. It's being done by a local shop. My contribution right now is collecting parts for the running gear, brakes, rear end, floor sheet metal, tires, for later chassis building.
The welding is all M.I.G. so far....

I just received this pic which has some cleanup done to the drivers' door and window area. The window glass will still operate 'up and forward' and 'back and down' to keep the 'vent' capability functional just like the original.
It's beginning to look like a salt car....

Last edited:
Looking good!
I'd opt for fenders though. The rear wheel well is a little elongated for a tire to look right.

...thanks Al....you're right and I thought of that a while back. I've ordered 700/16's (blackwall) for the rear and am contemplating a bobbed rear deck and maybe a louvered panel below the gas tank. And besides, fenders are for sissies and musicians.....ahahahah

...another update. Been busy getting ready for the Jalopy Jam Up Show and a week out of town, but here's what's been going on.....
Finally my 11" clutch pressure plate and disc have arrived....an it's a perfect fit on the flywheel thanks to Tony at Ross Racing Engines....

Also picked up my tires at Queensway Tire in Simcoe, Ont (sent by Coker) -Firestone blackwalls 550/16 front, and 750/16 rear....about 28" and 32" in diameter respectively...

Once the driver's side door-top and glass area were settled, a template was made and used to mirror the exact shapes on the passenger's door....

I wanted a removeable insert in the roof to avoid the old fabric/rubber insert and to provide some sunshine to the interior. A framework of sheet metal was fabricated which gave some structure to the roof. Filling the hole will be a sheet steel insert (maybe two -one with louvers for fair weather and another solid one for inclement weather) both fastened with Dzus fasteners.....

....work on the rear deck will follow soon.....

Looking great. I like your idea with the insert in the roof. Can't wait to see how the rear deck comes together.

Thanks Sheldon....and you are absolutely right. Stony has a hyper-hawkeye for detail and magic hands for fabbing.....the perfect match....

Dean: The insert idea grew out of an annoyance of mine where I see canvas covering the roof opening and fastened with snaps. That allows the top to be closed for inclement weather and open (or rolled back) for sunny days. However, from what I've seen, when the canvas is snapped on and the car is at speed, it seems to resemble a blister on top of the car due to air passing over it and lifting it up. The canvas eventually stretches and gets baggy. In addition, stopping a driving rain storm from infiltrating the cabin is dicey with snaps and canvas and 'lift'......i.e..."...Luke, the Force is not with you....".
Re: rear deck. Back at Post #38 you can see the trunk lid that I bought. It's general inclination from the back window area and descending in the deck is easily determined from photos of stock vehicles. At that point it is 'frozen' in place with tacked supports. The arc (arch) of the trunk surface from side to side will be extended to the 'shoulders' or sides of the deck and the truncated quarter panels. The rounded shoulders will have to be hand fabbed and rolled on an English wheel, as far as I can see.......stay tuned....

I can't keep myself from going back and looking at it over and over again. I must admit when I read the initial idea I had my doubts but not now that's for sure.

Sheldon