Barb's 2001 Ford Taurus won't start

bullet

I've placed this in Discussion/Chat as well for fear of it not been seen here.

I'm stumped ............. this just started Sunday morn.
Barb drove to town, stopped at Tim's for coffee, came out, car won't turn over, no clicking, nothing.
I drove to town, cleaned the battery terminals and it started right up.

Fast track forward ... Sunday evening.
Barb drove to church, after church, car wouldn't turn over, no clicking at solenoid, nothing.
I drove down.
Normal lights on dash when key turned on, nothing dims when key turned to start position, lots of headlight brightness, so not the battery, even tried jumping it, nothing.
Left car at church overnight, too dark to see anything.

Next morning drove over, car started right up, drove home, shut it off, later would not start, again no clicking, nothing.
Took battery cables off the car, cleaned up all the contact surfaces, ground surfaces, etc. no loose or broken wires at solenoid.
Perhaps a bad solenoid, would a solenoid act like this, how does one test that ?
Checked the starter relay and fuses, swapped the relay with another one of same size, still nothing.
Gave up.

This morning car started again, shut it off, tried again, nothing.
Tried starting in Neutral, nothing, so not the park / neutral switch.
Perhaps the Security System or other Electronic Module ( e.g. ECM or BCM ) is causing this, any thoughts ?
I haven't tried wiggling the key in the ignition, perhaps I should try this, but I think the ignition is firm.

I've perused the internet for an answer and found this to be a common issue with late 90's early '00 Taurus'.
No one has given a firm cause, just the usual, have you tried this or that ( the obvious solutions ), which I have.

Has anyone else experience this problem with their Taurus' ?
If so, what was the outcome. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Go directly to the starter, Ford had a nasty habit of the lead running from the solenoid to the starter motor rotting off, some contact occasionally and some times,nothing.. It's a regular bitch to have happen when you're
miles from home and you end up using your blade on the jack knife to make connection to get the kids home after a Christmas party,ha,ha..It can be done , at least on the Minivan I had...

Look at the end of the lead on terminal M and good luck.
Chris.

FordStarter.gif

Last edited:
Is the solenoid like the diagram Chris put up?? If its on the inner fender/firewall, try jumping across the terminals with a screwdriver. just a thought.

Is the solenoid like the diagram Chris put up?? If its on the inner fender/firewall, try jumping across the terminals with a screwdriver. just a thought.

It's like the above diagram.

Last edited:
Oh come on Parklane, would I put a wrong picture up if I was trying to help a guy out,ha,ha?
I have been here with these rotten starters too, just my two cents...I still say corrosion up inside the main lead to the starter motor..

Hit It Hit it again ! lol

Have someone hold the key in the crank position while you hit the stater with a hammer....

yeah gee totally forgot about this thread ..... turned out to be a bad starter / under warranty .... replaced it and haven't had any problems since.

Last edited: