TH350 selector shaft seal

licensed to kill

Supporting Member
I need to change the sifter shaft seal on a TH350. Any good methods to removing the old seal?. I googled and found a guy that uses a small flat screw driver with a hook files in the edge but couldn't get that to work. Tried a bent pick but that didn't work. Wanted to drill a small hole in the seal, screw in a wood screw and pull it out but can't get a drill in there. Any tips on how to get this thing out?. Thanks

Cody: You need one of these! First saw them used in the Pulp Mill @ Grande Prairie for removing pump packing....should be able to find in Peace River, but if not I would expect someone in GP should have them.....

packingchest.jpg

HTH
James
**switching lurk mode ON

Edit:
****and here is a link to all sorts of images of various seal removal tools.....some familiar, some not:)

https://www.google.ca/search?q=seal...gLE4YHoBA&sqi=2&ved=0CDoQsAQ&biw=1024&bih=653

Last edited:
They do have that tool slim!
About 75 bucks!
Useless if someone (like me) has previously been digging around in there with a pick or packing removal tool like James pic shows.
I went thru the process last year on mine. Managed to get the seal out with a modified screwdriver, tapped in the new one which leaked worse. Thought I was gonna save money! No such luck!! Went to tranny shop, they drained tranny. removed my new seal, machined the shaft to remove the burrs from the shaft and back togethor with new filter, gasket and fluid.

Drop your pan,remove the selector shaft, now you can remove the seal.
Make sure there are no burs or sharp edges on the shaft. check
near the thread and the edges of the 2 flat area,s Install new seal
Lube and carefully slide shaft into new seal.

The tool is 30 bucks on ebay simple enough to make if you have lathe . prying it out is only going to make it worse. Even at 70 its still a deal compared to what a shop will charge. If someone messed up the shaft before you , it would of been leaking when the transmission was installed. if its been rebuilt several times run some locktite around the outer edge of the seal before pressing it in and let it sit 24 hours after installing for it to set up. or just drop the pan....

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I ended up caving and dropping the pan and removing the shaft (was trying to avoid that) and am glad I did. Found the shaft to have some slight surface anomalies where the seal rides so I chucked it in the lathe and smoothed it up with some fine emery cloth. Smooth as glass now. Put everything back together (with new seal) and sprayed down the whole area with brake clean and blew it off with air to ensure that everything was clean and dry so any leak would be readily apparent. So far, no signs of any leaks. :)

Hi. I changed the gear selector shaft seal on my 200-4R transmission in the 47 yesterday. The new seal is leaking a lot. I have the tool to pull the seal out and install the new one. I have read everywhere where folks say to be sure not to damage the new seal on the flats on the shaft when installing it. I thought I was careful but apparently not! Does anyone have any tips or tricks or procedures that you used to do this seal change successfully? Do you put any sealing material on the outside diameter (the metal part) of the seal? I’m picking up a new seal tomorrow to try again 😄

Hi. When I searched the forum for selector shaft seals this thread came up. I thought it was in the “transmission related” reference section but I see it’s in the general chat section. Oops, Sorry about that 😄😄

I went through this last year with a 700r4. Borrowed one of the removal tools and it worked very well. I put a new seal in and it leaked. Some said put another seal on top of that one. It doesn't work. I replaced the seal again and it leaked. I was told to get a genuine GM seal because they are better than the jobber ones. It still leaked. Dropped the pan, pulled the shaft which showed some wear, and replaced the shaft with a new one from GM and another new seal. It worked.