Canadian cars in U.S. mags 50's and 60's

47convert................great shots ! Jim Flett now lives in Maple Ridge although I have not seen him in about 20 years or so.

Jim's wife passed away a few years a go and i was told he went back east and married an old girlfriend from his past. I don't know if he lives in the east or came back. I think his shop is still here though. Any one on the north side of the river know?:confused:

Found these and had to post pics of the "shrine". The holy Grail. hahaha. Pat.

wallys-burgers-sign.jpg

wallys-burgers-banner.jpg

Oboy! I sure do remember lining up at that counter many times! Great burgers! :D

Brian, I think that since Jim remarried he spends his time between back east in Sarnia, Ont. and Pitt Meadows. He had a stroke a while back which he is still recovering from but is doing ok. Pat.

Car Craft, June 1964. Jack Williams Syndicate dragster. He STILL has the car and it is raced in vintage events by his daughter.
Interesting to note that Milt Goodman took the photos.

I am taking a break for the rest of the week. More next week.

scan0029.jpg

It now has a top mount blower. I really like the look of the front roots style and the bodywork flowing around it.

scan0030.jpg

Pat

The Pineapple Princess spent many years in Kitimat and Prince George.

The former PG owner, Dwaine H currently has a steel chopped 32 3 window.
I too, saw the car a super run.............Original Metalflake Paint !!!!!!!!

The car was built in Calgary, eventually wound up in Fort St John where it was sold at auction and purchased by an
RCMP officer who moved to Kitimat, then owned the OK Tire store there.

PS: Pat...........THANKS for joining in and posting articles on this thread !!!!

I just read an article on this car today and it says the couple that ownwed it before, in Quesnel, finally bought it back again in '96 and took it back to Saskatoon. They are Ron and Sherry Bejerke. The article was in Canadian Classics Feb 2001.

...More on the Pineapple Princess....I took this photo in 1978. It was sitting in a front yard just north of Yorkton, Sask. It was for sale along with the other gems in the picture. I stopped because I was interested in buying it. But apparently I didn't look like a hot rodder that day. He didn't want to talk to me or even uncover it to have a look.... I snapped a picture and left..... I remember reading somewhere a few years ago that the car was now south of the border.......
Stan. ................

img016.jpg

According to a 2001 article in Canadian Classics a couple that owned it a LONG time ago bought it back in the late 90's and took it back to Saskatoon "forever"!

Here are some color pics. The car supposedly still exists on the island today. Pat.

scan0067-1.jpg

_MG_2657.jpg

_MG_2659.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y150/fordnutz

/misc/_MG_2639-1.jpg

I'm pretty sure that this car is the one that was once owned by Tom Glennie and his brother here in Victoria. Tom took his drivers licence test in it! He bought it back a few years ago and it's socked away in his garage in Victoria with a bunch of other treasures. Kind of a waste.

I don't think the Treasure ever had an Olds engine, but I may be wrong.

Topsterguy, Tom has I think more than a dozen cars. Don't know if he ever drives them any more. Haven't seen him in years. He was a staple at Family Affair in Chilliwack for years. He really likes T's. I've got to make a point of looking him up next time I am out there. Pat.

Here is another Island car from Victoria. Dave "Spook" Whitehead owned a lot of rods over the years. This one was featured in Car Craft in 64 or 65 as one of the top ten of the year.

scan0079-1.jpg

Here is the same car on a car lot in Burnaby in the early 70's

scan0008.jpg

I have posted this one before, but I am doing it again as it was also owned by Dave Whitehead after it was sold by the original builder. Irv Ross of Duncan built this roadster.

Here is an early shot from Car Craft in the early 60's in some Northern Show Coverage.

scan0006.jpg

Irv repainted the car and then sold it to Dave Whitehead in this form. Dave took it to the Oakland Roadster show in the early 60's and showed it there. I think B-bob had mentioned before that he saw it in a collection in California.

scan0007.jpg

Keith featured this car a couple of pages back. This is the most recent pic of Gary Cooper's T I think from the 60's. The car was apparently wrote off. Can anyone verify that. Pat.

gm_00081.jpg

Keith featured this car a couple of pages back. This is the most recent pic of Gary Cooper's T I think from the 60's. The car was apparently wrote off. Can anyone verify that. Pat.

gm_00081.jpg

That unique turtle deck would make it easy to recognise.

I'm pretty sure that this car is the one that was once owned by Tom Glennie and his brother here in Victoria. Tom took his drivers licence test in it! He bought it back a few years ago and it's socked away in his garage in Victoria with a bunch of other treasures. Kind of a waste.

Graham Taite of North Van owned it for a while years ago too.

Wow! Lots of great Cnandian cars. I remember seeing a bunch of those articles - must have spent a small fortune on books back then. Here's pics of Roy DesJardins' "T for Two" that was in Rodding and Restyling back in the early 60s. Roy knew the car had been featured but he'd never been able to find a copy. Luckily, our own Fast Elvis, (Mark) had one and passed it on to me. I copied the pics and gave the book to Roy almost 40 years after the book was published. Some of you BC guys might know Roy's brother Bernie. He's in Smithers and has a gorgeous red Superbird.

T42.jpg

RoyDesjardinsandhisfriendReneinfron.jpg

RoysHemi.jpg

Roy was in the American Air Force and drove the T across the country numerous times pulling a little camper trailer at speeds well above the posted limits - but that's a story for another time. I'd love to reproduce this car today. Where's all those nice T Coupe bodies except for 3000 miles from me?

Lol....hey Mike, love that story of Roy and how that one Hot Rod magazine was the start of a great friendship with yourself......keep those pictures coming!! Very KOOL thread!!

Man I'd love to have this 40 coupe today! Love the 39 DeSoto bumpers and the '49 Chevy licence plate frame. Also, I was just thinking I mentioned John Van Dube's 40 in the Star Weekly article but I seem to recall it was actually his son Wade's car. John did the pinstripes on the Roy DesJardin T coupe and my T bucket. Quite a talent. I just finished adapting a set of DeSoto bumpers and guards to a friend's 33 Ford Cabriolet. We were able to bend the original Brackets to fit the Desoto bumpers and use all the original holes. I'll try to do some pics of this car later.

Norm McPhedrian had one of the nicest 40 coupes ever. Candy green and perfect. Norm is still a car guy in the Vancouver area.

Untitled-2.jpg

Untitled-1.jpg

IMG_7234.jpg

IMG_7228.jpg

IMG_7157.jpg

IMG_7147.jpg

IMG_7106.jpg

IMG_7105.jpg

Last edited:
Hot Rod Mag, September 1958. Jack Plummer's '32 Vicky. This was previously a highboy that dated back to at least 1951 and I think (?) had a Quesnel history but could be wrong. I passed up a chance to buy the remnants of this car in 1969 for $200.00. Mark Z now has rebuilt the car as a highboy again and it looks pretty spiffy :):)

scan0033.jpg