....they ARE still out there....HOLY CRAP!!!

bgbdlinc

A friend was recently approached (quite out of the blue) by a guy who wondered if he might want to buy an old engine. The story was that he wanted to get rid of it because the rest of the car had disintegrated with rust and was going for scrap, I think. Intrigued and just for shits and giggles, my friend went to look at it and this is what he found....

I believe it's a 59A with an original Offenhauser 3x2 intake, Stromberg carbs, linkage (works), Weiand fuel block, and Sharp heads. To say that it is magnificent is an understatement....all I could do was giggle like a school girl when I saw it....simply the ultimate cool...and it turns over!!!!
Needles to say, it has a new home...

yowser what an awesome find. I happen to know a guy who could make that just like new hahaha

It would be interesting to know what the car going for scrap is/was! Wonder if there's photo's??

Sharp heads. Never seen a set before.
I'm sure you mean "old" Sharp heads. I bought a new set a few years ago, they are still available, or perhaps I should say they are available again, or perhaps they always were available. Don't really have any idea, but I did buy a new set a few years ago.

Excellent score....plans?

...my friend is going to put it in this...as part of a full traditional custom project...... . It will really be the cat's ass when completed.

I scored the three speed trans with the hydraulic clutch....

Not sure what year that Merc is but I have a '41 dash panel with gauges for same if wanted.

...my friend is going to put it in this...as part of a full traditional custom project...... . It will really be the cat's ass when completed.

I scored the three speed trans with the hydraulic clutch....

Will be Kwool.

...his car is complete and doesn't need anything except a full restoration...then cool, traditional customization -chop, lowering, etc. Very kind offer and, in addition, narrowed they are too cool in Model A's...maybe someone is looking here and take you up on it...

I'm sure you mean "old" Sharp heads. I bought a new set a few years ago, they are still available, or perhaps I should say they are available again, or perhaps they always were available. Don't really have any idea, but I did buy a new set a few years ago.

Googled it and you're right, you can still buy them. I had no idea. lol. Thought Edelbrock was the only one still making heads these days. I have so much to learn still.

...I noticed that they are 'thicker' than most others for street use. I suppose that is for increased water/coolant flow to dissipate heat?