Collector plate giggle

Martin

Driving through Vernon on Wednesday morning I noticed a collector plate that was out for a drive - on the back of a Dodge Aries K car.
Don't get me wrong, the car did look to be in really good condition and probably deserved them " but" well, you know, sometimes, really:rolleyes:
Might be changing our minds in another 20 years as the then grown ups will be saying, my grand pappy had one of those, no different to budget cars of the 50's and 60's I suppose.
I'm just waiting to see the first minivan with collector plates, wait, is my 58 Suburban a minivan:eek:

I.C.B.C. really needs to get a handle on this 25 year old thing. Yes there are collectable 25 year old cars like a SVO mustang, Buick GNX, etc.. but when you see a mid-80's Volvo 240 with rust bubbling around the rear quarters with a collector plate, c'mon really?
Yes, the Volvo lives about 2 miles from me.

Yup I know what you mean ... my wife and I had a chuckle at a S&S in 2011.

Last edited:
In the early 50's my Dad bought a '28 model a roadster in excellent condition for $15. It was viewed then much like the K car would be today.

Yup I know what you mean ... my wife and I had a chuckle at a S&S in 2011.

Now, a Chevette or Astre that's not RUSTED out, that is a CLASSIC, hence should have "antique" plates on it! :rolleyes::eek:

Last edited:
In my opinion the BC Collector program is flawed and open to abuse. To take advantage of the low insurance rate you must also have a vehicle insured with a normal blue plate. Okay so that will be the car the wife uses. I'll drive the one with the collector plate. Oh, but I don't want to drive the hot rod in the winter or on bad days, so I need a daily driver back up as well. So I can get a "fleet Collector" registration that allows one collector plate to be used on multiple collector cars. So I'll get a nice 1999 Olds and put it in the collector fleet (or K car etc). The '99 Olds should be okay as Olds went out of business more than five years ago.

Hmmm. So don't be surprised when you see Collector plates on what looks more like a daily driver.:)

Last edited:
Hells yeah'. If I had an 82 Chevette, I would gladly go for the 65$ insurance rather than 85$ a month. Ol'timers have got to get over the fact that time is always movin'- hence the movement toward muscle cars and the devaluation of hotrods. Like it or not our cars will go the way of the horse carriage...but until then, I don't care what MPG your Prius gets, I am going' to scare the Depends off your grandma!

EDITED:

.... Like it or not our cars will go the way of the horse carriage...but until then, I don't care what MPG your Prius gets, I am going' to scare the Depends off your grandma!

I like your attitude....mine too:

Its not a giggle, it's a total joke. I do know though that when these POS uncollectable " collector cars" are in the approval process, they are under a bigger microscope than the actual collectible ones. Any reason to reject them, they will. The collectible cars of the last 30 years can be counted on one hand. Everything else is crap. Except I usually use a different word than crap.