Rod and Custom mag no more

PG409

Supporting Member
Ceasing production. My subscription goes to sept 2015........wonder what I will get.......?

So, I went on the company website and a pop up ad says get a deal on R and C for 12 mos..............!!!!

http://www.rodandcustommagazine.com/

Last edited:
And how did you find out R&C are ceasing production?

According to that southern forum, Source Interlink Media shut down their east coast headquarters, so more mags will cease print production too.

Might go digital for a price.

UPdate:
Source Interlink did a major shuffle from 40 mags down to 26 mags.
Hot Rod and Hot Rod Deluxe as well as Street Rodder and Classic Trucks will still be published.

Last edited:
I bought my first newsstand issue in 1958. I have a 1953 issue which I think was the first year.

popular hot rodding bit it today too

As well as Custom Classic Trucks, and that mag was starting to look real good too. Good quality pics, high quality paper. However, it was alway the weaker brother to Classic Trucks, even though it was starting to look like R & c in quality.

Last edited:
Here's the Source Interlink Media press release:

SOURCE INTERLINK MEDIA REBRANDS AS TEN: THE ENTHUSIAST NETWORK Transforms portfolio to focus on core brands Speeds transition to web-led, socially amplified media model
LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA (May 29, 2014) – Source Interlink Media today announced a sweeping redesign of its brand portfolio, and a new name – TEN: The Enthusiast Network.

“TEN: The Enthusiast Network speaks to who we are, and what we do,” said Scott Dickey, Chief Executive Officer. “We are the world’s premier network of enthusiast brands -- we create and deliver content every day that informs, entertains, inspires and connects with enthusiasts. We are dedicated to enabling enthusiasts to pursue the passions that define their lifestyle.”

“’The Company’s future focus will center on its iconic core brands and their connection with the consumer across all forms of media,” said Dickey. “We are now putting in place the foundation to operate as a truly independent content creation and media services company, and the rebranding signals both the scale of the changes and scope of our ambitions.”

TEN is investing resources in its core enthusiast brands, including Motor Trend, Hot Rod, Automobile, Surfer, GrindTV and TransWorld, to name a few. The portfolio redesign absorbs 12 legacy aftermarket print titles into the most relevant of the core brands. Absorbing legacy aftermarket print titles that feature largely duplicative content into stronger core brands will deliver our customers an engaged and valuable audience with greater efficiency and scale.  
In aggregate, the portfolio changes accelerate the company’s move to a Web-Led, Socially Amplified Media Model. “It is not up to us to decide how our consumers choose to interact with our brands,” said Dickey. “Our job is to provide them with the content they want, where they want it, and when they want it. Our business model needs to reflect this new reality.”

TEN: The Enthusiast Network LLC is the world’s premier network of enthusiast brands, such as Motor Trend, Automobile, Hot Rod, Surfer, Transworld and GrindTV. With more than 60 publications, 100 Web sites, the world’s largest automotive VOD channel, 800 branded products, 50+ events, TV and radio programs, TEN creates and delivers content that informs, entertains, inspires and connects with enthusiasts every day. For more information visit www.enthusiastnetwork.com

No doubt more print media will be disappearing over time too. Advertising revenues are being directed to web-based media more and more now.

Last edited:
“Our job is to provide them with the content they want, where they want it, and when they want it. Our business model needs to reflect this new reality.”

That sums it all up right there. Everything is quickly moving to digital. Progress just can't be stopped or modified.

When Buckaroo Communications went bankrupt a few years ago (Street Rod Builder, Super Rod among others) I missed them as well.

A link to the new org chart.....

http://jalopnik.com/heres-how-former-source-interlink-mags-are-reorganizing-1583470716?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+jalopnik%2Ffull+%28Jalopnik%29

Last edited:
this is the second slaughter of source interlink titles this year and i feel more will be axed before the year is done.

Late last year my neighbour from a few doors down came walking over with two big boxes. He is a retired guy who always walks by and stops to see how my truck is coming along and to tell me stories of the the days he use to build and race rods around Red Deer. So these boxes have about 60+ rod and custom mags starting from 53, a bunch of smaller magazines that look like pocket books about rods from the 50's and numerous other kinds of rodding mags from the 50's. He though I would appreciate them so he gave them to me. Pretty nice guy. Now what to do with them...... I might frame a few of the first editions. Crazy to think they might be out of production now....

....Not a big surprize. Editor Rob Fortier left the mag a couple months ago. In his last blurb he said magazine print media has not doing well for a while. He saw the writing on the wall and moved on to something better. Also R&C has been getting thinner lately, and sister publication Street Rodder now has newer, as in 50's and 60's features on a regular basis.
I have been a regular with R&C since the mid 60's.... Gonna miss it....
The electronic computer age has claimed another victim.........
Stan. ..........

It's just not the internet, or youngn's not reading print media, but ad revenues are down substantially by hot rod parts manufacturers and suppliers.

They are having tough times so they've cut back the two page or full page ads and reduced the number of mags they are in to. Just too many magazines spreads the advertising dollars thinner. Many suppliers have web-based catalogues, no more print ones, so some feel they don't need to advertise as much.

The Auto mag market is also more fragmented than ever with all the "niche" mags now available, either as limited print production or as digital only.

And advertising is switching to the internet more and more.

Magazine revenues come from advertising and newstand sales. Subscriptions were given away cheaply to get the numbers of readers up to attract more advertising dollars or increase their rates.

No different than TV shows. Super Bowl ads are the classic example.

Last edited: