flat head cracked cylinder

Rcrbudha

I have a 1940's model flat head with a cracked cylinder, could someone tell me what it might cost to get a sleeve installed, or would it be a better idea to start with another block? :confused::confused:

I have a 1940's model flat head with a cracked cylinder, could someone tell me what it might cost to get a sleeve installed, or would it be a better idea to start with another block? :confused::confused:

Although a sleeve is the only way to repair a cracked cylinder wall, the next big question is; are their any more cylinder walls that might be cracked ??
Cracked walls are usually a result of water being frozen in the block. If it damaged one cylinder, their could be others.

The usual way to sleeve a cylinder also needs a pass off the top of the block to true the deck. Current machine shop rates could run a couple of hundred dollars.

I would suggest looking for a better block.

I agree, with the cost of machining now, I just scrap cracked blocks. Where are you at??? Bill

flathead

It took 4 blocks before I found a flathead good enough to spend time and money on. Look for a better block. Regards AL C

The first thing I would do with a flathead, is get it magnifluxed. Apparently, they were bad for cracking between the bore and the valve seats, so don't throw it out just yet. It may be the best one you'll get.

Flatheads ain't cheap

Cost to:

Hot tank block
magnaflux block
supply and install sleeve
pin repair crack

About $400

Note this does not include any work on heads or crank nor any new parts such as valves, seats, pistons, cam shaft, bushings, etc, etc.

I supplied an engine which I could turn by hand and was still holding anti freeze after 17 years. Magnfluxing revealed a small crack starting from the no. 7 exhaust seat toward the cylinder. I used the stock crank (resized .010 under and bored it out .125 over. Used new hardened valve seats new valves and pistons and adjustable lifters. Also new main and rod bearings.

The machine shop charges and the parts exceeded $3,000. Also all the assembly was done courtesy of a good friend who was willing to work for the satisfaction of teaching me a little about flatheads. We can all use friends like this.

Unless you own a machine shop this is pretty much what it costs to resurect a flathead these days.

Thanks every one for the advice,
I am located in Ottawa,
I am searching for another block, I will let you know how it's going.

Actually I scored 2 blocks one was running just before it was pulled, and the second is a Merc block hopefully the crank is still good. I will be running the Ford engine as is for now than when I get the funds I want to rebuild it the Merc crank.

If you are interested I build short blocks in Regina and can ship anywhere. If interested let me know. I have 3 ready to go. Bill