Anglia and P-51

angliagasser

Here is my buddy's P-51 Mustang 3/4 scale and my Anglia, both running a sbc 383 and almost the same stance.
DSCF2352_zps06458b1e.jpg

Last edited:
Nice photo ... love the scaled down P51.
Are you saying the P51 is running a stroked SBC 383 ?
Wouldn't sound the same as a Merlin passing by, but would still look awesome doing so.

Are you saying the P51 is running a stroked SBC 383 ?
Wouldn't sound the same as a Merlin passing by, but would still look awesome doing so.

I guess you could run a Jag V12 in the P38.25 to get the sound closer, but you'd better be ready to use the chute at any time. :rolleyes: LOL

I guess you could run a Jag V12 in the P38.25 to get the sound closer, but you'd better be ready to use the chute at any time. :rolleyes: LOL

Did you mean P51 ?

Because the P38 Lightning was relatively quiet for a twin engine fighter with it's supercharged Allison V-1710-27/29, and was slow in it's rate of roll to be a successful dogfighter.

images

I'm not sure the sound came anywhere near to a Spitfire or P51 with the distinctive growl of the Rolls Royce V12 Merlin.

Originally the P51 used an Allison V12 early in the war, but was slow in comparison to a P51 re-engine with a Merlin.
It then became an unstoppable force for the Allies.

There used to be a full sized P51 flying out of the Boundary Bay Airport in BC called the 'Cottonmouth' ... but was lost in a crash back in the late 80's.
I worked right close to the airport, and you could hear it coming well before you saw it. And when going by, it was the most awesome sound a WWII Warbird enthusiast like myself could ever hear, I'll never forget her.

Last edited:
Did you mean P51 ?

Because the P38 Lightning was relatively quiet for a twin engine fighter with it's supercharged Allison V-1710-27/29, and was slow in it's rate of roll to be a successful dogfighter.

Sorry, I was referring to the Mustang. By 38.25 I was implying its 3/4 size as a fraction of 51 and not the Lightning.

Cheers, John

nice shot Rick. you run in the Gasser Get-down class this year at the Old time drags??

Thanks guys, I will try for the Old time drags but not sure if it will pass tech. Is there a way of getting this thread to the right place, if not my car is still a project ........for the last 40 years.

I will try for the Old time drags but not sure if it will pass tech.

I would get a hold of one of the Langley Loafers for info on that Rick. most of it is common sense. but if you run slicks you need a driveshaft loop. no anti-freeze in the cooling system. no glass fuel filters. a certified helmet. long sleeve shirt or jacket. long pants. no open toed shoes. no more than 12 " rubber fuel line in engine bay. if you are 11.49 or faster you need a roll bar and that's good to 10.0. 9.99 and faster you need a cage and a whole bunch of other stuff. check it out you may be ok to run and it's such a fun weekend with some good racing.