Three things not to bring to outdoor car shows

leave your dog and your bike at home to... and that big steel belt buckle....and that logging chain tied to your wallet.... and that stroller[ you know the one you just MUST] jam in between the cars and other people]

There's always some wannabe Tour de France bobo trying to squeeze his precious bike in between cars. I've almost seen fights because of this.

EDITED:

Went to a show in a small community near here a few years back. They insisted I had to be in a certain class.....after considerable discussion, I simply put "No Class" on their window card. They also insisted the car be judged and to leave a door ajar and hood open. ......I never went back there.......

This is starting to appear at many shows now, big and small...why can't it be the way it was back in the day with no judging, no classes and no trophies (and the hunters who always complain). If there is going to be one class, then participants choice or peoples choice, that's it. I like your idea of entering "no class"' on the window sheet, or not putting anything on it.

And then there's the show promoter who doesn't allow you to leave until the end.

I'm starting to avoid these types of shows, have no use for them. I will park outside and walk in as a spectator, unless its for a worthy cause.

If there is more than one show that particular day, i enjoy the cruise to each one of them.

Stay a few hours and move onto the next one. Who needs a lawn chair when you're crusin'. :D

I'll ride a bike or walk the dog to one of the local shows because it's too damn close to drive to.

Car shows

I always enjoy attending the Kamloops Street Rod Association Chrome on the Grass show. A few years ago I thought I got around the judging thing. On the app form there were many classes listed and a blank space at the bottom. I made a little box and ticked it the wrote beside it, best Post Industrial Revolution Street Coupe. I figured there is no such class so I'm free of any trophy. Well at trophy time I guess they had an extra trophy left over, you guessed it, I won best Post Industrial Revolution Street Coupe. We all have a good laugh about that. That trophy means something to me because it's my friends having a go at me when I thought I had one on them.
I can see a time 30 years from now when young men gather and go over old car mags. They see A& W trays, cry baby dolls and other props. They will claim, that's old school, that's the way hot rodding was, we need to find A&W trays and cry baby dolls to be authentic.
All that proves is just because you found it in an old car mag does not make it right, then, now or in the future. Regards Al C

EDITED: ...why can't it be the way it was back in the day with no judging, no classes and no trophies (and the hunters who always complain). If there is going to be one class, then participants choice or peoples choice, that's it.

…………………….there is;

Radium Hot Springs car show in September, :)

………..and it must work......... after 20 years, maybe 25, and close to 900 cars each year................... it is still going strong!

my version of an on topic response;

Don't bring;

1. Your car trailer (just me being mean)
2. your mantlepiece attitude, (if your car should be treated as a mantlepiece collectable, leave it there. It doesn't even belong on the road)
3. Your Narcissism, this show isn't about you or your car, it's about three communities coming together, the car owners, the spectators, and often a cause they've gathered to support

Things to take;

1. willingness to share, your experiences, your passion, your interests.
2. willingness to inform and educate and learn, whether etiquette, or car specific.
3. a propensity to having a good time, however you define it.

And then there's the show promoter who doesn't allow you to leave until the end.

I completely understand promoters who do this all it would take is one stuck throttle or something similar, while some guy is trying to make their way through hundreds of people to get out of a show early and you have a disaster on your hands.

Don't bring;

2. your mantlepiece attitude, (if your car should be treated as a mantlepiece collectable, leave it there. It doesn't even belong on the road)
3. Your Narcissism, this show isn't about you or your car, it's about three communities coming together, the car owners, the spectators, and often a cause they've gathered to support

Things to take;

2. willingness to inform and educate and learn, whether etiquette, or car specific.

Wow, Cword, you nailed it. Very articulate observations and comments.
THANKS......

I'll ride a bike or walk the dog to one of the local shows because it's too damn close to drive to.

That is funny because there is a coffee morning 1 Sunday in the month just under 1 kilometer from home ....... hahaha, I must be a lazy prick because I take my roadster, of course I get all the coments that you car wouldn't even get warm, I just back out the drive and coast down the hill, you are right it is about the later coment you made here, Commrodderie

John, just tell them you took the long way around to get there.... and leave them wondering.:D

Russ

Sometimes you just can't win. I make a point of doing a local church run show yearly as it's laid back, friendly & kind of the way it used to be. So...I win an award & it's not the usual generic trophy, it's an Italian basket with all kinds of interesting stuff ..my wife loved it.. so, I walk around showing participants what a great idea these people had ...yep, you guessed it....word around later was that I was PREENING...huh!!! Never mind the local shows anymore.

Good thread!!
My pet peave!
Leave your can of wax or polish and buffing rag at home. It's supposed to be shined up when you get there.

I completely understand promoters who do this all it would take is one stuck throttle or something similar, while some guy is trying to make their way through hundreds of people to get out of a show early and you have a disaster on your hands.

Nope, the show promoter wasn't even thinking about that at all.

It was more about his hard work and all the trophies and the big cash prize at the end. Not even the charity that was being supported came into mind.

Good thread!!
My pet peave!
Leave your can of wax or polish and buffing rag at home. It's supposed to be shined up when you get there.
But what about the bugs and puddles on the way to the show? My ride is detailed before the show. But I do a quick touch up when I get there too.

Don't bring;

Things to take;

I like this! I was at a show a few years back, and a old guy was feather duster was dusting his perfect fiberglass repo 34 Ford, and a little girl about 3 touched a fender. He yelled at her not to touch the car. Her biker looking Dad picked her up and asked the old guy what his problem was. The old guy turned and walked behind his car, probably a smart move. The biker guy walked away with his little girl, and you could tell everyone that saw it was on the little girl and Dad's side.
If you don't want a little girl touching the fender of your car, don't bring it to a cruise in or outdoor car show.

I'm one of those that brings lawn chairs for my wife and I. Bernice goes along with me more to be out and not to really walk around. She gets to sit and read her book while I socialize.
We have an A&W display as we met there when she worked there.
Bernice bought me a display board for the 57 and we proudly put it out.
I don't care for your trophies, my one sits on top of the TV.
Don't care for stuffed anything sitting outside someones car.
I wont even start on kids, dogs(one guy's dog put his front paws up on my buddy's 55 and when he jumped up and yelled at the dog owner the owner says it wont hurt the paint as it's nails are clipped!!!!!!!!!!
Don't care for judging shows and am picky when choosing pay to enter shows.
Only wash the wagon a couple of times a year, clean the bugs off if I am in the mood.

But what about the bugs and puddles on the way to the show? My ride is detailed before the show. But I do a quick touch up when I get there too.

Dude!! We don't have bugs, puddles maybe!!
A little touch up is ok but not the full detail job. Like the new coat of wax and the new fangled portable power polisher!!

EDITED:

Dude!!
A little touch up is ok but not the full detail job. Like the new coat of wax and the new fangled portable power polisher!!

They have nothing else to do and they don't like talking to people as they are too busy waxing and a polishin'.
And they do this at every show, maybe trying to get a trophy?