Fenders by province, collected 12 October 2007

Cword

Supporting Member
Fenders by province, collected 12 October 2007

BC - Motor Vehicle Act, MOTOR VEHICLE ACT REGULATIONS

Mudguards
7.06 Every motor vehicle, trailer and semitrailer not constructed so that the spray and splash of water and mud to the rear of the vehicle is minimized shall be equipped with mudguards and, if necessary, mudflaps.

Alberta - ALBERTA REGULATION 322/2002 ,Traffic Safety Act, VEHICLE EQUIPMENT REGULATION
Mudguards.
64 The body of a motor vehicle or trailer or a fender, mudguard or similar structure must cover the width of the tire and extend to the mid‑point of the axle when viewed from behind the vehicle.

Saskatchewan -T-18.1 - Traffic Safety Act - V-2.1 REG 10 VEHICLE EQUIPMENT, 1987
Fenders or mudflaps
52(1) Subject to subsections (2) and (3), the vehicle shall have, for each tire, a fender, mudflap or body overhang that:
(a) reduces the rearward projection of gravel, mud, water and snow from the tire;
(b) is located so that the lowest point of the fender, mudflap or body overhang is above the ground a distance that is not greater than two thirds of the horizontal distance from that point to the centre of the wheel; and
(c) extends across the full width of the tire.
(2) The requirements of subsection (1) apply to wheels on steering axles only when the wheels are in the straight ahead position.
(3) Subsection (1) does not apply to a modified vintage vehicle when the vehicle is being operated on a dry, paved surface.

Manitoba –Highway Traffic Act
SPLASHGUARDS OR FENDERS
Splashguards required
48 Every motor vehicle and every trailer, except a farm trailer, shall, when upon a highway, be equipped with splashguards or fenders adequate to reduce effectively the wheel spray or splash of water from the roadway to the rear thereof, unless adequate protection is afforded by the body of the motor vehicle or trailer or by a trailer drawn by the motor vehicle; and the splashguard shall comply with the standards prescribed therefor under the regulations.

Ontario - Highway Traffic Act R.S.O. 1990, CHAPTER H.8
Mudguards
(3) Every motor vehicle and every trailer shall be equipped with mudguards or fenders or other device adequate to reduce effectively the wheel spray or splash of water from the roadway to the rear thereof, unless adequate protection is afforded by the body of the motor vehicle or trailer or by a trailer drawn by the motor vehicle. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 66 (3).
Exception
(4) Subsection (3) does not apply to motor vehicles or trailers in an unfinished condition while proceeding to a works for completion. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 66 (4).

Quebec
I was unable to locate appropriate resources

New Brunswick - CHAPTER M-17 Motor Vehicle Act
The act contains no references to Fenders or Mud Guards

Nova Scotia - Motor Vehicle Act CHAPTER 293 OF THE REVISED STATUTES, 1989
Dropping contents of vehicle and mudguards
199 (2) Every motor vehicle and every trailer shall be equipped with mudguards, fenders or flaps adequate to reduce effectively the wheel spray or splash of water from the roadway to the rear of the vehicle or trailer, unless the spray or splash is effectively reduced by the body of the vehicle or trailer or by a trailer drawn by the vehicle.

PEI – Highway Traffic Act
http://www.gov.pe.ca/law/statutes/pdf/h-05.pdf
Can only find a reference saying it’s “unlawful to splash pedestrians or others”

Newfoundland and Labrador - CONSOLIDATED NEWFOUNDLAND REGULATION 1007/96 Licensing and Equipment Regulations under the Highway Traffic Act (O.C. 96‑211)
Other equipment

32. (7) A motor vehicle and a trailer shall be equipped with mudguards or fenders adequate to reduce effectively the wheel spray or splash of water from the roadway to the rear of the vehicle or trailer, unless adequate protection is afforded by the body of the motor vehicle or trailer or by a trailer drawn by the motor vehicle.

Hi Mike, Thanks for posting this. Nice to know I'm illegal anywhere I go in Canada. It must be like down here... as long as you don't flunk the "attitude test" they pretty much leave you alone.
Clarke

A litttle more on Manitoba proposed legislation:

FENDERS
18.1 Every special motor vehicle shall be equipped with fenders and/or adequate body coverage designed to cover the entire tread width that comes in contact with the road surface. Coverage of the tire tread circumference shall be from at least 15 degrees in front to at least 90 degrees to the rear of the vertical centre line at each wheel measured from the centre of wheel rotation. At no time shall the fender or adequate body coverage contact the tire.

More info on all other proposed legislation is available at:

http://www.msra.mb.ca/Specialty_Vehicle_requirements_MSRA_copy.pdf

Canuck

i was told at a cam jammers meeting that svabc was trying to get a "fair weather" law out of ICBC....they shot it down saying that its a federal law to have fenders....not sure about any of this tho cuz lots of people are full of shit

Fender coverage...

There was a petition going around for the fair weather law a few years ago but I never heard the results..

Just because it looks cool that doesn't mean you don't have to have them. I've met guys that have been ticketed and fined for not abiding and I've met guys that have been left alone regarding fenders.

A retired DMV inspector from Quesnel BC told me in regards to fenders and how they need to be placed on each wheel:

Measure 4 x tire diameter from center of the wheel back, make a mark. Draw a line or use a piece of string from the mark to the top of the tire and the center of the hub of the wheel. The area between the lines is where your fender needs to be placed so as to not spray water and debry to the rear of the vehicle.

I fully agree with fenders. Even in dry weather there is sand, stones and whatever else is on the roads that would get the poor bugger behind us. Anyone ever had a rock chip from a vehicle in front? Imagine the guy on the motorcycle dodging all the junk coming his way.
I have had to drive the Coq. hywy. in all kinds of weather and it has been hard to see anything when cars or trucks pass you in rain or slush.

My two cent's, I read the writen law that it needs to stop water or mud spray or splash, so, as long as the roads are dry........ As previuosly mentioned as long as your driving attitude is intact and you dont drive like an ass...... Sounds to me, like a lot of Canadian laws, its left up to interpretation. (wow, big word for me lol)
I have driven fender lean or fenderless vehicles all over Ontario and have a few " roadside interviews " with now problems. Seems like the writen laws dont really "clearly define " what we can get away with imho. There is a small plaque proudly displayed on the front of my fenderless 35 (FTF) I,m sure you all know what it stands for.:D

I should have mentioned that if your going to go fender free, you need to be a responsible rodder as well and park it if its raining or conditions don't agree.

A recent update for Manitoba:

For the old car collectable ..fair weather

2.2(2)A motor vehicle is not required to have adequate protection from wheel splash or spray if it(a) displays a type 8 collector number plate or type 8 personalized collector plate — as defined in the Schedule to the Vehicle Registration Regulation, Manitoba Regulation 57/2006 —issued for the motor vehicle;(b) was manufactured on or before December 31, 1948, or was manufactured to resemble a motor vehicle manufactured on or before that date; and(c) is being driven on a dry paved surface. :D:D:D

Keeping with the flavour of the day, and regards to Cwords first post, B.C. regulations, 7.06 can be circumvented by section 7.01 (4) “ A person may drive or operate on a highway motor vehicle that is not equipped as required by section 7.06 if,”
And then the regs outline what qualifies, just one example is, - “A collector motor vehicle that was manufactured in 1940 or earlier.”
All are then blanketed by a paved, clear, dry road regulation as well.