Canadian cars in U.S. mags 50's and 60's

Brian, here is Gordie Copp's yellow roadster in about 1971 when Norm Abrahams still owned it before Gordie got it off him. Full fendered and channelled. I have some other pics of it when Geordie rebuilt it as a channelled yellow fenderless car. Then Gordie got run off the road and totalled it and rebuilt it as a full fendered stock looking resto rod painted light and dark blue. My other pics of the car need to be scanned. I have thousands of pics to scan someday. Pat.

scan0042.jpg

scan0025.jpg

DOES any one know where car came from before 1971 where did Nor. live befor 71??

Last edited:
Brian, here is Gordie Copp's yellow roadster in about 1971 when Norm Abrahams still owned it before Gordie got it off him. Full fendered and channelled. I have some other pics of it when Geordie rebuilt it as a channelled yellow fenderless car. Then Gordie got run off the road and totalled it and rebuilt it as a full fendered stock looking resto rod painted light and dark blue. My other pics of the car need to be scanned. I have thousands of pics to scan someday. Pat.

scan0042.jpg

scan0025.jpg

DOES any one know wher car came from before 1971??? where did Nor. live in 70-71??

Last edited:
Here are some pics of Cliff's T coupe in different colors. It was originally called the Lemon Street coupe because it was originally a yellow color. Cliff built it in the mid fifties. Then El Donovan owned it. Rollie used to know where it was in the Surrey area, but it disappeared. Anyone seen it recently?

scan0003.jpg

page005.jpg

ElDonovanLemonStreetcoupeTinthe50s.jpg

Cliffs-Yellow-Street-T-Apr.jpg

Bruce120001.jpg

1956Motorama.jpg

049i.jpg

Last one for this week. May 1957, Rodding and Restyling.
A Hillman you say? Yup, with a Ford V860. Bill Sadler's earliest road
racer. He went on to build quite a few VERY competitive V8 Specials that
dominated road racing at Mosport and eastern US tracks. He lived in Hamilton, I think.
I saw one of his racers at the Monterey Historics about four years ago.

scan0014-1.jpg

Here is a famous old one out of Ontario. Ken Kay and his neat hot rod pickup.

K2-1.jpg

K1-1.jpg

Is this a later pic of the same truck? Pic taken off the Galt Strokers website.

Strokers036_3eb37.jpg

Yes Fordnutz that is the same truck after he pannel painted it.He's my older brother.
Homer

Homer

What a COOL story. Do you have any more info you can share or
photos???????????:)

Wow! Lots of great Cnandian cars. I remember seeing a bunch of those articles - must have spent a small fortune on books back then. Here's pics of Roy DesJardins' "T for Two" that was in Rodding and Restyling back in the early 60s. Roy knew the car had been featured but he'd never been able to find a copy. Luckily, our own Fast Elvis, (Mark) had one and passed it on to me. I copied the pics and gave the book to Roy almost 40 years after the book was published. Some of you BC guys might know Roy's brother Bernie. He's in Smithers and has a gorgeous red Superbird.

T42.jpg

RoyDesjardinsandhisfriendReneinfron.jpg

RoysHemi.jpg

Roy was in the American Air Force and drove the T across the country numerous times pulling a little camper trailer at speeds well above the posted limits - but that's a story for another time. I'd love to reproduce this car today. Where's all those nice T Coupe bodies except for 3000 miles from me?

47 Convert

Wow, what a series of events and coincidences. I met Bernie about
2 years ago, when 41chevcoe and I were asked to help in the appraisal of his S/Bird.
He showed me a copy of a 1954 HOT ROD mag with his Model A roadster rod in it. He is quite a character.....and has lived in the Bulkley Valley area of BC since 1975. :)

Last edited:
July 1962 Hot Rod Mag. I attended most all car shows in the Vancouver area 1957 to 1965 but do not remember this car. It now is apparently in Ron Ford's collection in White Rock BC. He owns Ocean Park Ford and is in his showroom.

scan0015-1.jpg

Homer, didn't realize Ken Kay was your brother. Always liked the truck he built. What color was it when he first built it?

Keith, Chester Sepula and Ron Ford were good friends. You are correct about Ron having the car. I think he has owned it since the early 70's at least. The first pic is one from the Island I think when Chester owned it. Pat.

ChestersT2.jpg

Here is a pic of the car in about 1970-71 at BCIT in Burnaby. This is where the rebirth of rodding began in the Vancouver area. Actually the first get togethers in 70 started out from Lougheed Mall in Coquitlam. Ron Ford owned the car in this pic. He still has it and several years ago had it redone at Brizio's. I don't have a recent pic of it. Pat.

scan0031.jpg

Norm McPhedrian had one of the nicest 40 coupes ever. Candy green and perfect. Norm is still a car guy in the Vancouver area.

Untitled-2.jpg

Untitled-1.jpg

IMG_7234.jpg

IMG_7228.jpg

IMG_7157.jpg

IMG_7147.jpg

IMG_7106.jpg

IMG_7105.jpg

yes PG409 I have lots of good memorys as we would show the truck.Some weekends I would take it to the states to show it myself as Ken had to work.I guess it is time that I learn how to post pictures.Have to wait till the daugter comes home to show me.
Homer

....OK Homer, now that you have fessed up to a connection to the truck, we would like a separate thread with the history of it. With pictures of course... All in favour raise your hand..... And the burning question we just gotta have an answer to..... where is it today.......?
Stan.

Yep Bernie's a great guy too. Here's some pics of his roadster. It was extremely fast for it's time. He ran a Packard Patrician dual quad V8. The guys used to pull the Packard and put it in the rail about every second weekend. I'll include a pic of the rail too, but I think it had an Olds in it when the pic was taken. Bernie beat Connie Kalita at New Baltimore Michigan Dragway with this roadster and drove it to and from the track! Connie had a full race 40 Willys coupe.

GoldenRod.jpg

PushRodsDragsterZorro.jpg