Brake fluid

timmins57

I'm in the process of re-doing the original brakes on my 37 Chevy coupe. The previous owner hadn't moved the car in about 5 years and one of the wheel cylinders was seized up. The fluid was kinda dirty and rusty so I'm assuming the moisture in the fluid did its nasty work. The cylinder was pitted and honing didn't do any good so I'm replacing them to avoid any troubles. I was wondering if there is any advantage to using a silicone brake fluid or is the normal stuff ok .

Both have there strong and weak points but if you are going to change start with a fresh system , all new seals assembled with dot 5 , replace or blow all the hard lines out good replace the flex lines. Reverse bleed or vacuum bleed slow dot 5 will absorb air and trap it unlike regular brake fluid.If you bleed with the pedal you will end up with sponge brakes . Pour it slow bleed it slow keep the container full. This stuff realy shine's if you got nice paint and the car is heavily detailed . regular dot 3 should be changed every 12 months and dot 4 every 18 to 24 to avoid the water problems. This may be overkill but with brakes and me if it can go wrong it will

If you want to use the Silicone you'll need to rebuild all of the rubber parts and replace them with new rubbers, in all honesty I have silicone in my roadster and about the only real advantage for it is a street rod is it wont damage the paint, however if you are going to be curcuit racing or doing a lot of heavy braking for sure I'd go silicone but for normal use such as I use in my car, I would go back and use standard brake fluid again. Also depending where you are mounting the master cylinder mine is under the car and not far from the exhaust so that is one thing to consider because the silicone handles heat better.

Also what slim said is so true. (sorry Slim I read what you had said here after I wrote this)