OT Does Manitoba & Saskatchewan have chemical bans for lawns?

Fonzie

Ontario banned pesticides for lawns about 5 years ago (maybe longer). You can still buy products to protect your lawns against grub, weeds, and other stuff. But they aren't quite as good as the stuff we once had.

Just wondering if Manitoba or Saskatchewan has similar bands and if the good stuff is still available out there?

If you go to a farm supply store, you still get the "good" stuff.

For example, Round-Up.
The stuff they sell at the retail outlets doesn't kill weeds of grass and takes many applications before it does work.
Buy the 5 gallon pail from a farm store and its still the "old' stuff, one application and the weeds and grass are gone.

Round up is still available on the Island at hardware stores & garden suppliers. However, the old weed and feed for lawn weeds isn't and the new stuff, which is just corn meal that hinders new weed seeds doesn't work for established weeds. There is spot spray Killex with 2-4-D available & works ok.

In the old days, I would apply a little Weed and Feed in the spring and that took care of the weeds. Now, I supposed to pull them out by hand or throw pseudo-weed something or other at them. Couple years of that routine will get it right out of your system. Neighbor lady said I should make dandelion tea. Hmmm.
So now I whip up a batch of vinegar (a jug), salt (half a hand full) and a couple shots of liquid dish soap. Throw it all in a sprayer. Have at it.
For the lawn I make another batch without the salt in an old windex bottle. Walk around and spray the weeds. Be a little careful cause it creates brown spots but a good watering will dilute the vinegar and in a couple of weeks it looks ok.
I'm getting the pinch face from the neighbor lady as I spray away. She thinks I'm using some sort of nuclear, end of the world, bio-toxic carcinogen. Bonus.
Now where did I put my bag of Salt and Vinegar potato chips?

be careful with that salt solution in ANY sprayer that has metal parts in/with it (spray wand & extensions), the salt will act on any metal parts...

These remedies are also found in the Shell Busy's (??) 'how to' book.
They do work but are very lame at best....

Manitoba

Buy my lawn supplies from a commercial lawn supply, ie: golf courses and parks, etc.

Par III (same as Killex) has been pulled off the shelves and is only available if you are certified and licensed applicator. Still can use but I believe in 2015 it will be against the law to spray it on lawns.

Still can be used by farmers on their crops. So it is OK on the food we eat, but not on the shoes of any kids running around your yard. :eek:

Could probably buy it in the US and bring it back with you.

Canuck

If your using commercial grade Round-up I wouldn't advise children, pets, or any other living organism play on your lawn. Nasty stuff and it has been linked to cancer.

If your using commercial grade Round-up I wouldn't advise children, pets, or any other living organism play on your lawn. Nasty stuff and it has been linked to cancer.

Actually, roundup (or more specifically "Glyphosate") is one of the safest herbicides there is. You want to talk about "nasty stuff", compare roundup to something like caffiene. The LD50 (lethal dose to kill 50% of rats tested) on caffiene is about 190mg per kg of body weight. The LD50 of Glyphosate (the active ingredient in roundup) is 4320mg per kg making caffiene almost 23 TIMES more toxic than roundup. Still, enjoy your morning coffee and stay away from those left wing missinformational web sights. :D:p

Interesting feedback (thanks).

but the question still remains. Does Manitoba and Saskatchewan have the same ban in place that Ontario has?.

Sure, you can still buy various types of insect and weed killer but the stuff is nowhere as good as what we used to buy at the local Canadian Tire or Home Hardware

Fonzie,
I think you have to go south of the boarder and bring it back with you. I know a lot of people that do it.
Or if you know a certified sprayer, they can buy you the good stuff.

As was mentioned earlier, you should be able to get what you want, along with application recommendations, from any farm supplier. I doubt that you need an applicator license as farmers don't have one. The only down side is that most stuff comes in 10liter jugs which is enough to do anywhere from 20 to 80 acres, depending on the rate and product.

Fonzie,
I think you have to go south of the boarder and bring it back with you. I know a lot of people that do it.
Or if you know a certified sprayer, they can buy you the good stuff.

You can't bring it back from the States. It's been tried by others and it's been nabbed by custom officials.

As was mentioned earlier, you should be able to get what you want, along with application recommendations, from any farm supplier. I doubt that you need an applicator license as farmers don't have one. The only down side is that most stuff comes in 10liter jugs which is enough to do anywhere from 20 to 80 acres, depending on the rate and product.

Would you have a generic or brand name to look for when we are checking out the farm supply stores ??

For broadleaf weeds in lawns, Target, Trillion, Par3 and Premium 3-way are all pretty much the same thing, (mecoprop, dicamba and MCPA). Target is the one marketed more for farm use while the other three are more marketed for lawn/golf course use but they are all virtually the same. They will come in 10L jugs and likely run somewhere around $150 and will treat about 20 acres.