Probably the oldest car to cruise the streets of Prince George

41chevcoe

Supporting Member
John Kutzmin and his wife from Kentucky had an unexpected layover in Prince George when their motorhome (that was trailering a 1901 Duryea horseless carriage) had a differential failure while enroute to Alaska and the Arctic Circle. He said it was a dream of his to drive the car on the other side of the Arctic Circle. John has retired from the GM Corvette assembly plant in Kentucky where he worked for 35 years. He found this 1901 Duryea in a ladies front yard that had flowers going in it. He purchased the car for $100 and had to build any parts needed for the restoration. We met up with the Kutzmins at the CN Center parking lot where he took us all for rides and then they came on an ice cream run with us afterwards.
So what is this doing on a rodder site……..well the original engine didn’t use a carburetor, but used an intake port with a wick that dripped fuel on to a screen which atomized the fuel as the air passed through it. He said the engine was unreliable so now runs a small Honda motorcycle engine and can cruise at 40MPH/70 KPH which was a requirement to get it licensed for the road.
Probably the oldest car to ever cruise the streets of Prince George!

Last edited:
switching to Honda is rodder enough for me. 70mph would give me a rather high "pucker factor" Verrrrry cool

As if the wild and extreme ideas people get isn’t wacky enough ……………being able to put it all together (pun intended) and actually do it……….. continually blows me away. :eek:

Great guy too, he seemed to be having a great time talking with anyone who dropped by and taking folks for a ride (I got to drive it too). He would happily tell you it was a 1901 Duryea "with a few parts added" which was his modest way of saying he built a ton of it from scratch to create a head turning fun and useable driver - very cool and very much a rodder and a great ambassador for the sport. Was a pleasure to met him and check out his car. Have a great trip to the Arctic Circle John.

Just as well it wasn't sold new there in P.G. George or I was thinking Keith might have sold it when it was new :D:D:D, but I don't think he sold GM's did he, :D

Looking at those skinny spoke wheels, tiller steering, and lack of modern brakes, even at 40 km there might be some serious pucker as even a small dog running out in front and hitting it could end up with nose skid down the road...

Keith might not have sold it new but probably took it in trade when it was only a year or two old:rolleyes:

John had to make the wheels for the car, said he used 3 1/2 sheets of metal before he was able to roll out 4 wheels he was happy with. The tires are from an industrial fire extinguisher cart. He did get some "parts" from a furniture factory, the original wooden fenders were replaced with the base from a large oak oval table top sits on, the wooden running boards were made form laminating chair arm rests together and turning them upside down, both ending up with the same contours as the originals. John fabricated brake drums behind the wheel sprockets, everything is enclosed and you wouldn't know they were there except for the brake line going in. The tiller steering is very responsive, faster than a steering wheel! We took it on some pretty good runs and it is not scary at all. It is smaller than a bucket T.

I drove past it a few times last week but never had the time to stop. But each time there was a few people there checking it out. I'm sure he had a busy week.