Liberal Use Classic Car Insurance ?

:eek::eek::eek: i think it,s time to move !!

Truthfully, after decades of playing with old cars, I'm seriously considering selling everything. The insurance companies have put the hammer down on usage, I've got a bunch of old cars here that run like bears but can't be driven to work, to the store or on vacation. To me, they are essentially useless.

Add to that that the market fell out and will probably never recover and what I've got are cars that were worth $15 k+ ten years ago that I would have a very hard time selling at all at this stage of the game.
Young guys don't want my stuff or there's no way in God's name they could even begin to come up with $10 000 + for a toy/play car! (That they don't know how to fix or even work on for that matter.)

The world's winning. I'm beaten down. :(

That's why I posted here. I'm hoping someone will point me to an insurance company that will give me a more liberal use policy. I don't care if it costs me more money. JUST LET ME DRIVE MY DAMNED CARS!

hear hear ! ! Chopchop
I'm going to see what my Broker says at end of month ..
I need insurance on the Studie to get my NS Collector Plate

WOW No decals??? Mine has some old decals from the 60's-70's on the rear quarter windows, I plan to leave them there. Hope when time comes they don't throw that at me.. :rolleyes:

If one has a gasser-style vehicle, would be an interesting question for Hagerty. Wonder if you would have to buy race car insurance instead?

Same goes with collector or modified trucks, supposedly no towing a trailer, UNLESS its a period correct trailer, then its' okay but a modern small trailer is a big no-no.
Oh, but one can tow a any kind of a trailer with a car. Go figure that rationale
Have a friend who likes to go to go to long distance shows and tows his trailer. His insurance broker dropped the usual insurance and informed him he now has to be on the Hagerty plan.

Its a changing world out there.

Last edited:
...you may have a case for further investigation to present to these guys. Yes, it's government, yes, you may need a lawyer, yes, it will take time, yes, it may be costly, and yes, it will drive you to distraction....
http://www.ibc.ca/en/consumer_protection/Ontario.asp
Points to position your case:
1) 'consolidation' of the collector/modified/vintage/classis (specialty) car insurance industry in Ontario (American owned 'Hagerty') has resulted in an anti-competition environment which is not in the best interests of consumers;
2) increasing the restrictions on useage so as to be totally unreasonable which it would appear is to reduce claims;
3) challenge the automotive insurance industry's separate category for insurance on the above group of vehicles (i.e. a $20,000 Toyota is the same value as a $20,000 street rod);
4) challenge the idea that persons that own hot rods/street rods are all irresponsible, speeding idiots;
Those are just starters and a lawyer would have lots more to articulate. Who knows, maybe a class action lawsuit is in the future since we're talking about a sizeable consumer group. The approach to avoid, in my opinion, is the ranting, 'grumpy old man' syndrome (I don't know you or your age -no disrespect) which usually does more harm to your case, than forwarding a calm, logical, articulate, reasoned, approach to a serious consumer's rights issue for literally thousands of owners of specialty vehicles in Ontario.
Keep us posted on any developments.

...you may have a case for further investigation to present to these guys. Yes, it's government, yes, you may need a lawyer, yes, it will take time, yes, it may be costly, and yes, it will drive you to distraction....

OR: Two ways to skin a cat…………..pick your poison!

Is it not interesting that when the very laws and regulations by either Government or the private insurance industry become so impossibly unrealistically complicated that most of us simply just break the law out of necessity? A classic example of bureaucrats turning honest people into criminals.
:)

As a out-sider looking in, I think BGBDLINC has the right idea, get the government involved to enforce regulations as they were intended. There has to be a strong united front by all car enthusiasts in the province otherwise there will be a lot of cars gathering dust in garages or sold out of province. Have already noticed a increase in Ontario cars for sale in our local Kijiji listings here in Manitoba.

Here in Manitoba, we are currently OK. Recently introduced Collector Car plate that gives a saving in dollars over changing from regular registration in the summer to a lay-up policy over the winter. But, I don't trust them completely, you have now identified your car as unique. What is the next change????

A question though, What are the insurance companies doing about the modified tuner cars that are only a couple of years old or less? They really aren't any different than us, just a bit different passion, doing the same things we are doing. Are they being slammed because they have different wheels and tires, exhaust, paint and grafics, engine mods, etc?

Canuck

PS: Why am I so interested in what is happening in Ontario, Alberta, BC? This is a virus that can very easily spread across the whole country and end up infecting every car enthusiast in Canada with the desire to get rid of his/her collector type car and take up model cars again and spend all that money that you have been spending on cars here in Canada on a longer winter vacation in a tropical paradise.

Last edited:
EDITED:
A question though, What are the insurance companies doing about the modified tuner cars that are only a couple of years old or less? They really aren't any different than us, just a bit different passion, doing the same things we are doing. Are they being slammed because they have different wheels and tires, exhaust, paint and grafics, engine mods, etc?

Most are much newer and insured as "regular" vehicles. If they get into a fender bender or wiped out, they lose the money that's into it. There are some tuners driving around with over $50K or even more into them and these modifications are not covered.

Same sort of applies to the modified newer Mustangs and Camaros. If the modifications were dealer installed, then it would be covered.

With all these new rules, it boils down to "how to charge premiums that in consideration to the amount of km driven is high" and "how to deny any claim that might arise by means of these rules"....... which means all profits and no loss from claims...

Russ

Has anyone contacted the Canadian SEMA network about these changes? Seems like something they would be interested in.