Canadian cars in U.S. mags 50's and 60's

PG409

Supporting Member
This thread will be an ongoing ( I hope) one covering rods and customs which were featured in US magazines primarly in the 50's and 60's and into the 70's.
Anyone having any current info on the cars please chime in. Those wanting to
highlight cars from 80's and up mags please start another thread.
Bud Lang and Pete Sukalak were both Oregon residents who continually contributed to Peterson Magazine publications, thus lots of BC cars got coverage.

First car is a '32 Roadster built by the Robinson Bros. I saw this car in the car shows and the '50 Merc caps were spray bomb painted candy red !!
The car is apparently in the Surrey, BC area and now a highboy.

scan0008-3.jpg

Another page from Nov 1958 Car Craft on the roadster

scan0009-4.jpg

Last edited:
This Chevy Fleetline was a street and show regular. I last saw it in White Rock in the late 60's owned by a guy who went to our school
Car Craft Magazine Nov 1958

scan0007-4.jpg

I have hundreds of Mags going back to 1949. I will go through more and post over the next months or so as time and attitude permit.
I am still going through my little books.

Here is another. Pretty unusual, but what the hey !!!:) Sept 1958 Car Craft:)

scan0010-3.jpg

OK, one more for today. This Ford ragtop was featured in March 1962 Customs Illustrated and East Coast (NY) mag.

I "think" I saw it's hulk in Kelowna in the 70's.................

scan0002-6.jpg

....I can't contribute anything except I recall looking at the little books and being thrilled that any Canadian cars made it into the big (for the time) American publications...... I mean, the talent north of the 49th was just as good as south of the border....it's just that we were outnumbered probably 10 to 1....

canadian cars

Love the 32 ford roadster that was my dads first car will post pics as soon as i learn how not to smart.

I have hundreds of Mags going back to 1949. I will go through more and post over the next months or so as time and attitude permit.
I am still going through my little books.

Here is another. Pretty unusual, but what the hey !!!:) Sept 1958 Car Craft:)

scan0010-3.jpg

I saw this car and met the same owner back about '82 in a small town out of Salmon Arm area.

you been starting some interesting stuff on here have you been over to Arnies he's got or maby had tones of those little mags keep up the good work there Keith!!

Brian ( B bob)

Of course, I just realized that you saw the Austin in in the early 80's,
and I consider it a survivor.....................jesus man, that was 30 years ago..........................!!!!!! I am really in a time warp..................:)

T Easer

Hello PG 409
There is great coverage of Roger Melenchuks 27 T roadster out of Vancouver in Hot Rod Magazine,Nov.1961,page 58,59 if you have it.Been gonna put it up but no scanner.
Dan

Dan, I have that one somewhere and will post it when I find it.

Roger still lives in the Nanaimo area.......

Thanks

Roger Melanchuk

Hello PG409,
Actually ,had no idea that he lived here in Nanaimo, but be interesting to see what he had to say about his old roadster.I've seen photos on here as to how the car changed it's looks over the years ,but prefer the early sixties look.
Dan

The little roadster sport car thing I think belonged to Jerry Normand and he was in the Dragons out of Burnaby. The seat with the dragon on it was at the BCHRA 40th reunion in 1997 at the PNE grounds. I think he is in the Okanagan and still has the car. Pat

Here is Melenchuk's car after Carle Jaklin got it. I think this is Car Craft or Rod and Custom.

scan0078.jpg

What it looks like today. Owned now by Gonzo (Dave Stefanko) in the Langley area. This pic was taken in the 80's.

scan0020.jpg

Here is a pic of a Vancouver area roadster taken from some show coverage in either Car Craft or Rod and Custom in the sixties. I think this is the one a buddy of mine owned in the very early 70's. It was candy green then and still had the hemi. He painted it yellow and it has disappeared. Pat.

scan0021.jpg