Looking for history or info: old Slingshot / FED

gasserx

Hi all Canadian rodders!
I recently became the lucky owner of an old Slingshot dragster.
I have bought it to use it and have fun with, and we are planning to hit the track next summer.

However, it seems like it has some history. And i really want to find out more about it. Its said to be built in 1967, USA, by Woody Gilmore, owned by a man from Florida, and raced in topfuel from around 1968 until 1974`ish... then sold to Canada.
Canadian guy bought it from the original owner as far as i`ve been told.

In 1988 a guy from Rhode Island, USA, bought the car. Im working hard to get some details from him or his friends at the moment. Im mostly interested to find out what changes he did to it, what it looked like in -88, and where in Canada he collected it.
Due to the huge distance from east to west, i have reasons to believe he found it somewhere around the area of Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, Quebec.

From 1988 until now, im am the 4.th owner.

But, as you can see, there is a huge "black hole" here.

I will keep you posted with news as far as i get some from the RI guys. But if someone has memories of a FED beeing sold to USA around 88, or maybe even brought to Canada in the mid-70`s, stored in a shed, stories, cars that reminds of........anything, and i will act like a sponge, sucking up every little detail i can find :D

Here is some newer pics, it looks just like this now (except engine):
155_5591em.jpg

34713387-166-180-FED.jpg

And here is some from around late 90`s i think, but i`ve been told it had the red frame and black body before this (second known owner), painted somewhere between 1988 and the late 90`s:

10705268_10202606786883170_814643532_n.jpg

10706338_10202606789363232_1471216530_n.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, yes, yes - i just got feedback on my request!

First of all, it came from "right above" Rhode Island, and to the left (in Canada that is). That should make it around the area of Montreal!
He didnt collect it himself, but the Canadian owner trailered it down to RI for him.
He said it was a proven winner in Canada. That tells me the car should be well known at least around local tracks.

He also says its a 1969 Woody, not a -67.
He met up with Don Garlits himself once, and he inspected it and confirmed it was a real Woody Gilmore.

I hope these new information will be to help. Montreal guys, chime in... spread the word :D
What are your local racetracks?

I would imagine that the entire roll cage has been replaced.Quite possibly from the engine back. A Gilmore car built in 68 would have has a 3 point cage. Rule changes around 1988 stated a 5 point cage on dragsters, a 6- point cage on altered. Most dragsters updated to 6 point.The front end of the car could quite likely be original Gilmore. Beautiful car,you'll have an exciting time racing it.

I am 3000 miles west of Montreal area but asked some guys who are quite familiar with those cars. None are in that area but perhaps they have some clues to help you. I will let you know when i hear back.

The rear of the frame rails coming up to the shoulder hoop helps determine it may be a Woody, cage is certainly all changed.

If you could get more detail pictures like the SEMA tag, shots of steering/rear end mounts/brackets that can also help.

I am 3000 miles west of Montreal area but asked some guys who are quite familiar with those cars. None are in that area but perhaps they have some clues to help you. I will let you know when i hear back.

Thanks man.

I know, many things have changed, like the cage. Frontend is not original and have been changed. Other details on the chassis may have been changed too.
I actually dont care if its a Woody or a backyardbuilt car, just wanna find its history :) Its getting into my head...:D

Best thing would be to find the last Canadian owner, so that has to be my "main" goal right now.
Any info about race tracks around Montreal and Ottawa sound like a good way to start. Websites with history and pictures from the 1970-80`s would be great.

Oh... Quebec, it that all French speaking? If so, thats...kind of a problem..haha
Hope it was from the Ottawa are then ;) Well, at least i have a little bit more specific details than i had before.

I have information that the cage was built by the Canadian owner. That means it should be the same as in the pictures above.
The Canadian guy owned a little engine repair and snowmobile shop (if thats to any help).

Anyone have pitcures of FED`s from the area? 70's-80's

Thanks a lot, i`ll give it a try :)

Edit: thanks to your link, i looked around in that forum, and followed some other links in French that i didnt understand, and i ended up on another forum where i found an old photo of a slingshot that is very, very similar to mine from the rear wheels and forward! I really believe i have fount it but i need more pics and need to talk to the owner to confirm.

Last edited:
gasser,
here is another place you might find some info on, they are from the Maritimes and Quebec is not that far off. You never know if the previous owner trailered it there to the drags.

http://maritimeracers.proboards.com/

I been looking around that site as my 58 was dragged in P.E.I.

Some older pics. Anyone remember it?
Still trying to find Ross Arthur but no luck so far. If anyone know him, or someone who might do... please let me know.

numari15.jpg

1530343_1385881048333828_1652148152_n.jpg

numari19.jpg