1927 Hudson Essex Build - Project "Prarie Rat"

Got a chance to spend the day on the car. Got the body squared and braced, floor cut out, and the body mocked up on the frame. It's starting to look like a car! But is in dire need of a haircut haha.

.....oh,oh,.....now you're getting serious....should take about 30 seconds ...hahaha. Great start and a too cool mockup!

Got a chance to spend the day on the car. Got the body squared and braced, floor cut out, and the body mocked up on the frame. It's starting to look like a car! But is in dire need of a haircut haha.

.....oh,oh,.....now you're getting serious....should take about 30 seconds ...hahaha. Great start and a too cool mockup!

Thanks bgbdlinc! It's getting exciting seeing it come together like this

A member on another forum did a photo chop for me that made the windows 60% of original size, which would work out to about a 6" chop. Looks cool, but would be a bit much I think. I'm thinking the 3"-4" will look good.

Have been pretty busy lately. I picked up a 327 which will end up being the power plant for Project Prairie Rat. I couldn't wait to hear/see the motor run so I built myself an engine run stand. The stand works awesome, and managed to build it mostly of things I already had lying around the shop. I will be changing the valve covers, oil pan and possibly timing over on the motor, as well as switching to a triple carb intake.

Since I used the motor mounts for my build on the stand, I made another set for the stand today so I can use the originals on the car. I got the motor mounts tacked onto the frame, and engine/tranny I'm using for mock up sitting in the frame. Next I'll be tackling the tranny cross member, and 4 link. I also got my rad back towards the end of last week, turned out great!

looking at your engine stand, does that fan keep the engine cool like that or have you ever had it up tp full operating temp?:confused:

How many Prairie Rats do you see on the prairies ? ? :D ... however, you do see Prairie Dogs

I'm do like the look of where this is going, but I think 6" would be too much, did you try a photoshop 4" ... ?
I find I get tunnel vision looking through a small windshield and feel very uncomfortable driving a car looking through a narrow slit, but that's just my personal take on it.

4D9335A6-B2ED-4F47-B26E-8E45586EFE31_zpso3leh17v.jpg

Last edited:
How many Prairie Rats do you see on the prairies ? ? :D ... however, you do see Prairie Dogs

I'm do like the look of where this is going, but I think 6" would be too much, did you try a photoshop 4" ... ?
I find I get tunnel vision looking through a small windshield and feel very uncomfortable driving a car looking through a narrow slit, but that's just my personal take on it.
QUOTE]

Thanks bullet! I agree 6" would be too much, I am thinking more in the ball park of 2.5" - 4". I haven't tried a photoshop 4", I used to have Photoshop, but unfortunately no longer do.

Got a start on the transmission crossmember and mount last monday, and started on the 4-link today. Haven't tacked the axle brackets to the axle yet. Gonna measure a "few" more times to make sure it is perfectly square and centred before carrying on. Still trying to decide if I should run the axle brackets behind the axle like I have them, or flip them in front of the axle. I think they are a bit more aesthetically pleasing the way I have them now. I can't wait to get the rear bag mounts built and tacked on!

I got the axle 4-link brackets tacked on, made some axle bag mounts, and upper bag mounts for the frame and tacked those on. Next I will tackle the panhard bar, and am still trying to decide where to mount the shocks. I am fairly tight for room inside the frame, but was thinking I could possibly mount the shocks on the outside the frame, as I will have 5 inches of clearance from the body on either side of the frame. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Really nice job on your chassis, interested to see what it looks like with the body on. Going to be a fun ride.

....damn, that chassis is slick (or should I say 'sick'......)

Really nice job on your chassis, interested to see what it looks like with the body on. Going to be a fun ride.

Thanks! I can't wait to get the body on myself! Trying to split my spare time between hunting and the car right now, so its a little slow going. Come the end of November, she's going to be getting my full attention again though haha.

I do like the look of where this is going, but I think 6" would be too much, did you try a photoshop 4" ... ?

4D9335A6-B2ED-4F47-B26E-8E45586EFE31_zpso3leh17v.jpg

Jonrod, I have to agree with Bullet. 6" is a pretty sever drop.

If you are going to use the sun visor - like in the picture Lay N Low posted above - and your first in line at a stop light; your going to have trouble seeing traffic lights.

As a test; mock up your steering wheel position, and a box (for seat location) and try seeing how far up (from under the visor) you can see.

My "A' Ford Tudor Hiboy roof is stock height with the stock visor and I can't see the traffic lights when I'm first in line. (even though I have a "Traficator")
:eek:

After a lot of time spent brainstorming it finally clicked! I decided to mount the pan hard behind the axle, leaving me ample room in front of the axle to mount my shocks still within the frame. The panhard bar mounts off the back of the passenger side bag mount, and runs over to the back of the driver side of the frame. This also allowed me to run a fairly long pan hard bar mounted level at ride height.

What do you guys think

Just peeked through the build.. real solid fab work! Super impressed and will be looking forward to seeing more! Thanks for sharing :)