Cross over time. My 1935 3 W Coupe build.

I realize my build thread over at the H.A.M.B can't be read by everyone over here so I'm posting it here, starting from the beginning.

My interest in Cars began when I was very young. There used to be a couple car collectors in my neighbor hood and I’d see them pass by in their treasures once in a while.

At around twelve or so I used to ride a few miles to the bike shop, and on the way I passed a local Shell station where a mechanic or pump jockey drove a 1935 Ford three window coupe to work. On several occasions I’d see it sitting there or driving around town on fair weather days. That car left a life long lasting impression on me, sparking a desire to one day possess one of my own. I’m 48 now and I’ve had mine a year and a summer.

I first saw my car back in 1994 I had just purchased a 1948 ford 1 ton and needed a tail light to make it original. I learned of a gentleman 20 miles away that could get me reproduction parts for my truck and proceeded to track him down. I went to visit Dale, a semi retired teacher, who dabbled in distributing reproduction Ford parts.

It was upon this first visit Dale took me to the garage and showed me his old Ford collection. Some of the cars were a 31 roadster, 46 Merc convertible, a 35 Ford 5 window coupe, 57 T bird and so on. The 35 Ford 3 window looked a little ratty so I didn’t spend much time looking it over, but it was our first introduction none the less.

Over the next few months I got to know Dale better and offered some help when it came time to move all his cars out of his garage. He was moving the building to the property next door, because that's where he planned to build his new house. This was a chance to get a good look at what he had, because the garage was packed so full there was barely enough room to walk.

With camera in hand I snapped away as we carefully pulled each car into the sunlight, one by one, using the low first gear on my old 48 to gingerly move each specimen to the lot next door.

scanned2010-10-303001b.jpg
scanned2010-10-302001b.jpg

scanned2010-10-30001b.jpg
2010-10-304001b.jpg

Once I got to see the 35 Ford 3 window out in the open it was a little rough. Someone had been doing some body work on It that would cause their experience to be questioned. It quickly became obvious that the car had spent a moment or two on its roof, but I could now see that it did not have a single spot of rust anywhere. Door gaps looked fine the windshield was intact and perfect, and the procedures for repair began filling my head but, when the garage was re-located and ready to shelter the survivors. The 35 got tucked back in with the rest of them.

I asked if he’d give me first right of refusal for the car on several occasions. The answer was always, “you’re not the only one” or “I doubt you could afford it, I’d want a lot for it”.

Finally I heard through the grape vine that it was on the market. The price seemed up there and I never got a chance to ask the owner what was truth or fiction for an entire year. I caught up to him at a swap meet a couple years ago and learned the actual price was more along what I thought was fair. I went to see it within a few days with cash in hand and the rest is history, the beginning of a long and happy life together, hopefully for many cruises to come. Even as I was loading the car on my trailer a call came in, to inform the former owner that money was on the way for the car from another party. I heard the words every car guy dreads to hear, “sorry but I sold it, and the new owner is loading it as we speak”. I’ve been on the receiving end of that phrase and had to say it a time or two, but I can’t help grinning every time I remember the moment.

For most of its time in the previous owner’s possession, it sat for almost forty years in the corner of his garage, getting the occasional visit when he came in to throw a spare part or two, found at a swap meet or on a parts hunt, into it for safe keeping. All those collectable parts came with the car, not to mention the odd piece I’ve been lucky enough to find since it has been in my stewardship. Plans are for a later Flathead dressed for the ball. I want to drive it as a survivor because it will only be this way once. When I stop to do the math this car was in waiting for two or more years before I even saw my first one. Anyone out there believe the connection to their car is an act of fate?

Doug.

I bought a lot of parts from Dale back in '80 for a '40 Ford tudor i was building at that time. Good guy.

Nice 3 Window keep posting.

Sure would be nice if Frank could make a build section so you don't have to search all the threads to see who has a build going.

Great car and story. I do believe in fate. I've been a Willys junky for 45 years and a few years ago followed a lead to a ranch 1/2 mile from home and ended up with a FREEEE '38 Willys coupe. SO to me that's fate.!! Tinmann called it something else !!:D:D

Great car and story. I do believe in fate. I've been a Willys junky for 45 years and a few years ago followed a lead to a ranch 1/2 mile from home and ended up with a FREEEE '38 Willys coupe. SO to me that's fate.!! Tinmann called it something else !!:D:D

I imagine it went along the theme of having "strategically placed horseshoes."
He does have a unique way of expressing himself.

Bgbkwndo.

Great project and thanks for the story how you got it etc, it is all a part of the history of that car.

Here are some photos from bringing it home day.

For starters, None of what you see in the back ground is for sale. It was all the same cars back in 94 stuffed into a two bay garage instead of this nice big workshop. The 35 is one of the very few cars he has let go in fifteen years.

1935Ford3Wcoupe003b.jpg
1935Ford3Wcoupe002b.jpg

1935Ford3Wcoupe013b.jpg
1935Ford3Wcoupe012b.jpg

1935Ford3Wcoupe005b.jpg
1935Ford3Wcoupe004b.jpg

1935Ford3Wcoupe006b.jpg
1935Ford3Wcoupe011b.jpg

1935Ford3Wcoupe010b.jpg
1935Ford3Wcoupe009b.jpg

1935Ford3Wcoupe007b.jpg
1935Ford3Wcoupe017b.jpg