Updating GPS?

Fonzie

Hey guys,
I've got a TomTom GPS that somebody gave me for Christmas 5 years ago. I rarely use it unless I'm going someplace that I'm unfamiliar with. It might come in handy this summer when I head out to Saskatchewan.

I'm just wondering whether these things can be updated?. If so, how difficult is it and how much?.

I plan to take an old fashioned map with me.... but the GPS might come in useful too. :D

I've found they don't always find you the best or easiest way to go ... I rely on the old map method for travelling ... I'll buy a new RAND book of road maps, depending on how old mine is, when I go away.

If it's 5 years old and rarely used, it may not be "update-able" any longer.

GPS technology products are is always in a constant state of change.

And those "maps forever" claims, only as good until the product support stops for that particular model. Product life is very short.

Give it a try....along with a good road map.

When in Saskatchewan, buy a "range/township" road map too.

If it's 5 years old and rarely used, it may not be "update-able" any longer.

GPS technology products are is always in a constant state of change.

And those "maps forever" claims, only as good until the product support stops for that particular model. Product life is very short.

Give it a try....along with a good road map.

When in Saskatchewan, buy a "range/township" road map too.

Can't get lost in Sask. everything runs N. to S. and E. to W. and you can see 100 miles in all directions :)

Can't get lost in Sask. everything runs N. to S. and E. to W. and you can see 100 miles in all directions :)

Most of the time....there are some areas where you can both get lost and can't see for 100 miles.

With Tomtom you have to buy the maps. You can get some basic free updates by downloading Tomtom Home, then plug your gps into your computer and it will find updates for you.
I have 3 tomtom's they have the best maps for Canada, at least they used to. I've tried the Garmin and the Magnellon and tomtom was much better.

If you hear TomTom's then you should head in the opposite direction Kemo Sabe

Last edited:
Even a 5 year old GPS map should be adequate for Manitoba, Sask, Alberta or the northern central states. The only areas that might be a problem are in the cities where there has been new construction.

We found a 3 year old Garmin was adequate on a trip to Arizona, even though we did end up travelling at 75 MPH across country in areas of Phoenix. Very smooth cross country trails there (new freeway). :rolleyes:

We have decided we would only need a upgrade if travelling in large cities, ie: LA, San Fran, etc.

Would probably go for a new unit at Costco versus $75 or more for a upgrade to a old unit that could easily fail at any time. :(

Canuck

Yes you can update it, I have one and is about 6 or so years old, I only use it when we go overseas, which reminds me I had better update it for N.Z. thanks for the reminder. There is a free update for them on the net, don't do what I did last time and paid some rediculous amount, (can't remember how much though) but you can get a free one.

Oh yea there is also a setting on your GPS that you can set somehow so you can share conditions with and from other road users automaticly, don't ask me how because I would have to read the book again.

I've found they don't always find you the best or easiest way to go ... I rely on the old map method for travelling ... I'll buy a new RAND book of road maps, depending on how old mine is, when I go away.

You're not kidding. I used it yesterday for a car show I wanted to attend. I had a rough idea where the place was but thought I'd take the GPS along anyways. Everything was going well until we came up to a dirt road and it said make left. So I drive down this dirt road and discover it's a dead end. :eek:
I turn around and head back to the main road. Now the GPS seems to be back to normal. I eventually got to the location.

I will be taking along a map and one of those CAA books.