"Barb Find " Rant

Martin

Soooooo, in my recent trolling through the interweb I keep seeing older cars for sale described as barn finds. Now being somewhat knowledgable in what a barn actually looks like its pretty obvious that the barn find they are describing is more of a field find or a garden find or a , I opened up my garage door and the car I knew I always had was in there find.

Seems the term "Barn Find" has now become a generic term for an older vehicle that has been recently rediscovered or uncovered or has some kind of recent dusty matter on it like the contents of the sellers shop vac emptied out on top of said vehicle.

It does appear however that adding the term "Barn Find" to the description even though there is clearly no barn in site seems to add an exponential dollar value to the vehicle in question.

Now, the last barn I was in had a bunch of straw in it and a Miriad of egg laying foul within and thus the aforementioned beasties tend to poop a little.
I see no bird poop in said Barn Find for sale ads, tends to be more bull crap which I guess at a long stretch could be farm related and would be a lot messier to wash off, not to mention the hoof prints in the roof that allowed it to poop up there in the first place, anyway, I digress, much like the barn find description really.

Even those lovely chaps from Hot Rod Magazine, David Frieberger and Mike Finnigan, have their youtube resurrection of the 66 Buick Special convertible described as a barn find yet it was in a chaps back yard up to its axles in Arizona sand (good episode by the way and well worth the watch).
Mind you, baby Jesus was a barn find and look how much revenue that has brought in over the years, oops, sorry Vicar?

So, in the interest of being PC, lets just keep a barn find to what it actually is. It's either going to be an egg, a piece of straw, or a piece of crap by one description or another. Oh, wait a minute, that last description kinda fits the three projects I have on the go, whatdoyaknow, I gots me a bunch O Barn finds.
This evenings entertainment has been brought to you by loneliness and a four pack of Kilkenny, oh, and maybe by some of the noxious fumes given off by the crappy bathroom sealant:D

I'm with you on that, call it found as it is. My 57 wagon was a farm find and It was stored in a garage since around 90. The farm was closed down years before I bought the 57 in 2003.
348241225.jpg

178632155.jpg

…………………….Let the buyer beware…………………huh? :confused:

:)Well, I never had a "barb find" but I did meet a "Mona" in a barn once.....with hay...it was fun !!

so if the chicken,s are in fact using the car as a barn, eg. living in it then it would be a:confused: " barn find"?

Yes, Barb find, oops.

As for the chickens living in it to make it a barn , nah, that would make it a coupe. Discerning chickens though living in a coupe, wouldn't be seen dead in a sedan I guess:rolleyes:

Jeepers, make a spelling mistake and the worlds against ya, you guys are BARBarians.
I had a friend ( yes really) who had an old 4 wheel drive and painted it a dark colour. He called it Barb Barb black jeep.
Any way gotta go, I'm off to the Barbers. And then gotta do the garden fence with some Barbed wire And and and:rolleyes:

Jeepers, make a spelling mistake and the worlds against ya, you guys are BARBarians.
I had a friend ( yes really) who had an old 4 wheel drive and painted it a dark colour. He called it Barb Barb black jeep.
Any way gotta go, I'm off to the Barbers. And then gotta do the garden fence with some Barbed wire And and and:rolleyes:

Nope. it goes something like this:

Ba ba ba ba Barbara Ann
Ba ba ba ba Barbara Ann
Ba ba ba ba Barbara Ann (take my hand)
Ba ba ba ba Barbara Ann
Ba ba ba ba Barbara Ann
You've got me rockin' and a-rollin'
Rockin' and a-reelin'
Barbara Ann
Ba ba ba ba Barbara Ann

Went to a dance
Looking for romance
Saw Barbara Ann
So I thought I'd take a chance
Barbara Ann, take my hand
Rockin' and a reelin'
Barbara Ann
Ba ba ba ba Barbara Ann

Ba ba ba ba Barbara Ann
Ba ba ba ba Barbara Ann
Ba ba ba ba Barbara Ann
Ba ba ba ba Barbara Ann
Rockin' and a reelin'
Barbara Ann
Ba ba ba ba Barbara Ann

Tried Betty Sue
Tried Betty Lou
Tried Mary Sue
But I knew it wouldn't do
Ba ba ba ba Barbara Ann
Ba ba ba ba Barbara Ann
Rockin' and a reelin'
Barbara Ann
Ba ba ba ba Barbara Ann

Ba ba ba ba Barbara Ann
Ba ba ba ba Barbara Ann
Ba ba ba ba Barbara Ann
Ba ba ba ba Barbara Ann
Rockin' and a reelin'
Barbara Ann
Ba ba ba ba Barbara Ann

Barbara Ann, Barbara Ann
Barbara Ann, Barbara Ann
Barbara Ann, Barbara Ann

Last edited:
With all this talk about Barb, my head's beginning to spin .... give me some BARBiturates, I need a downer.

Last edited:
What I love about " barn finds " is when you see an axeual barn find , one that's been left in a barn or shed for yrs and is covered in boxes an pigeon poop , an people get all pissy cause the car is dirty , covered in pigeon poop or an inch of dust .
People ??? what did you think would happen to a car left in a barn for 10 , 20 30 yrs Moron ..
At least it didn't get left out side in the elements that long .
that's one of the reasons I like the title , Cars in Barns , its a car truck motor cycle in a barn , its not like it was lost , some body put it there , some body knew it was there .
Barn Find kinda makes me think of an older lady that was in our family yrs ago . She asked me to clean out part of an old barn . Rounded up 2 buddy,s 2 pick up trucks , some beer an tore into it . right at the back wall of the shed was if I remember correctly a 70 polara station wagon . when we took her out to see , cause she didn't say anything about a car being in there , she said , Oh My , You found my car . it,d been in there so long , since maybe 78 , she,d forgot it was in there , so I HAVE axeually found a car in a barn ..77.

I can't help but roll my eyes when I see some of these classifieds. If it's not somebody with a "barn find" it's somebody selling due to bad health or a recent divorce (nothing like giving the impression that they're desperate to sell).

Barn Finds are typically cars found in a barn. The term is over used. It's like people who advertise their cars as "complete restoration" when in fact it's nothing more than a quick paint job and a new set of tires.

....Just to keep this a BARN FIND thread, here's real BARN FIND that Flatcat and I dragged out a couple years ago................now resting in my back 40......
Stan. .........................

IMG_33491280x960.jpg

IMG_33501280x960.jpg

IMG_33511280x960.jpg

IMG_33541280x960.jpg

IMG_33741280x960.jpg

That looks too good to be just left out in the weather there Stan, you sure have some interesting machinery in your back 40 alright, it's a shame we weren't closer and had to pay loads of dollars to ship stuff, mind you good cars are always OK to ship it is just if they are badly rusted it isn't worth doing.