Snagged a '48-'53 Suburban from the crusher

Alaska Gasser

Driving by the scrap yard a couple days ago I couldn't believe what I saw.

I stopped and verbally bought it off the pile. Then I had to call my banker so she could collect the $ and I could go pick it up after I got off work. I told her I bought an old suburban and let's just say, she was less than pleased. I was not expecting this. She still wasn't happy until we pulled in and saw it. Then she became excited and said "Oh! It's an ooold suburban. Heck yah we are taking it home!" I never told her the year and she was expecting an 80's basket case. You've got to love a hotrod wife!!!

It is very rusty and damaged from the fork lift, but it was worth it.

Last edited:
Eugene.....I been wondering where ya were and what you were doing......
great find and nice post and photos......:):):)

looks like it has a hotrod steering wheel on it already, just needs lots of black tape wrapped around it like a old dirt track roadster.

Yeah. My 'Department of War and Finance' wouldn't have let me pay for that. Free maybe.. It all stems from the "I'm going to Lyle's to pick up some parts" episode, which was followed by the "Was that the tow truck I saw in the back alley??" episode, which concluded with the disc brake kit for my 57 that looks suspiciously like kitchen cupboards.

C'mon, we're all thinking it, so I'll ask it, how much does it cost to save something from the crusher?

I'm playing with my 58 Sub at the moment and was told a couple of days ago that there's another one round the back of a shed at a farm approx 25 miles from me. I'm doing my darnedest not to go look at it but I'm thinking his and hers now and the wifey really likes the one I'm working on. Trouble is then the abundance of erm, "stock" I have.
Should be so lucky to have such dilemmas I suppose.

Good score though, don't think I could have resisted.

"C'mon, we're all thinking it, so I'll ask it, how much does it cost to save something from the crusher?" When I asked, I was told $400-$600 which is really frustrating + considering they only pay us $50 a car. They do not go by weight.

I do not need anything off it and considering how rusty it is and the fork lift destroyed the left side and roof, it is only worth it's weight in parts.

I just grabbed it because suburban / panel parts are getting harder to find. Everything is up for grabs, just give a holler.

Good on ya Eugene, maybe one day you will hook up with someone who wants to save a bit of history bad enough to want it also. Doesn't it erk you when you see some good stuff get wrecked in 5 seconds with someone in a fork lift, you have to wonder how they get their jollies doing that but then again maybe they are into fishing and only see scrap value to be able to buy a new boat.

I neglected to include a photo of the interior. Both front seats are there and in good shape.

Someone used spray foam all over the roof and inbetween the walls for insulation. I'll bet it was cold to ride in back in the day.

You might have some luck advertising on the stove bolt forums. Previously seen front seats go for a couple hundred bucks, now if it still had the centre and back seats, you'd be sitting on a small rusty cash cow;)

You might have some luck advertising on the stove bolt forums. Previously seen front seats go for a couple hundred bucks, now if it still had the centre and back seats, you'd be sitting on a small rusty cash cow;)

Thanks for the info. I know what you mean about the 2nd and 3rd row seats. I talked to a buddy that picked up some and he paid $1500 for them.

Cool save, ya I think most guy in the scrap yard just don't care, although that being said one guy at one of ours here in town said hates to see them come through.

Nice catch there!! Check the number stamped on the distributor boss of that Jimmy. If it starts with 270 or 302 it could be sought after by the inliner enthusiasts. I'd like the GMC valve cover for the Ford 300 I'm putting in my Chev.

Cheers, John

Nice catch there!! Check the number stamped on the distributor boss of that Jimmy. If it starts with 270 or 302 it could be sought after by the inliner enthusiasts. I'd like the GMC valve cover for the Ford 300 I'm putting in my Chev.

Cheers, John

Say what? A Ford in your Chevy???? How can that be 99?

Say what? A Ford in your Chevy???? How can that be 99?

surprisingly, I apparently am not the first to come up with this plan.

Of course if it was 50 years ago, I'd be looking for a 302 GMC with a Wayne 12 port, But today that takes some serious cash to do so the Ford 300 12 port is an econo substitute. The Ford even comes with Fenton type headers and a fuelie intake. Plus Coco will love it.

Cheers.

....Good info there. I got a 53 1430 (3/4 or 1-ton) panel out in the back 40... maybe the price just went up...
Stan. .....