55-59 chev hand brake help/question

Martin

Anyone out there that has a 55 to 59 Chev truck that still has the original hand brake set up?
There's a bracket with a roller on it that guides the cable in to the cab and then the cable connects to the hand brake somehow.
I need to know the position of the bracket.
The handbrake assembly seems to be one of the few disassembly photos that I didn't take, now that I'm doing mock up assembly I can't remember where it goes. New floor board gone in so no location holes.
Googled the hell out of it but didn't see it.
Thanks

This is a tri-five passenger car, is it the same for trucks.

5-6.gif

Last edited:
Pulley and hand brake are different to the drawings there, my 58 only has one pulley.
After trolling through pictures I think the mustang 11 top hat may be covering the mounting holes for the pulley. I may be missing a bit of linkage or cable, still scratching my head:confused:

I can't see where the MII hat would be anywhere near where the pulley would have been located ... but I could be mistaken.

Why not use a cable within a cable similar to a throttle cable or the cables that run into your rear backing plates, the ones off newer cars are very flex able and can be bent to shape. I used one from an Astro van to relocate my brake to the floor.

Hi Bullet
The hand brake lever is unlike the 55, the Suburban, so I'm assuming the truck as well, hand brake lever is side ways mounted and not a straight pull like the 55 car. The hand brake lever is also attached to a rod of approx 20 or so inches that goes forward to where I believe the roller is located.
I'm sure there's something missing in my linkage so will play on.

Rather than modify the whole thing, if I can use the original parts ( mostly) then that's less fabrication required.which makes life a little easier.

Sort of looks like that, the handle is the same but the linkage on mine is a rod where as the one shown seems to go to a cable. Also the rod passes through the firewall a lot higher up. What I'm actually looking for is what the other end of the rod and its connection look like I have found one picture I took but wouldn't ya know it it's blurred beyond help:rolleyes: