Saskatoon in the 60s

fergie

Supporting Member
There is a neat photo and blogs on "Hemmings Daily" 27 Aug 2014 It may tke some searching and I don't know how to fwd the article

Saskatoon History

Boy does that bring back some memories!

I was a member of the Draggins, and somewhere (although I can't spot it in the picture) my 1940 Ford Tudor Deluxe was there.

I lived in Saskatoon from 1950 until the early '70's.
I also helped the Howard family build SIR.

I lived on 5th Ave. near Central Park in the early 60's, went to King Eddy Elem. I also hunted & caught pigeons inside the super structure of the 25th St. Bridge to stock my coop.

I lived on 5th Ave. near Central Park in the early 60's, went to King Eddy Elem. I also hunted & caught pigeons inside the super structure of the 25th St. Bridge to stock my coop.

You mean Kinsmen Park? The one with the small gauge train and carousel? They are in the process of redoing the whole park,, the train and carrousel are gone now...:(

Bash

I think I recognize a few people in that photo. Doug Feltham (in the Draggins jacket) in front of the 35 is one of the original members I believe. I believe that could be Ron Lee's 35, and he still has it to.

Last edited:
Saskatoon

Has anybody got any more info on that Merc with the cowhide interior (HAMB pics) at a Regina Car show. Says it was owned by John Callans, I remember a Red Merc with similar interior on Dries Bros used car lot in Weyburn Sask the 60s I think it was called "Sundance"?

I think I recognize a few people in that photo. Doug Feltham (in the Draggins jacket) in front of the 35 is one of the original members I believe. I believe that could be Ron Lee's 35, and he still has it to.

You are right; Doug was one of the original members as well as Ron Lee, and both owned '35's.

I became a member about 2 or 3 years after the club was formed. I lived across the street from Doug Feltham and he invited me to join after I got my '40 Ford Tudor.

Ron Lee and I both worked for CFQC television, and Ron was there until he retired a couple of years ago.

You mean Kinsmen Park? The one with the small gauge train and carousel? They are in the process of redoing the whole park,, the train and carrousel are gone now...:(

Well that was 50 years ago, I thought it was Central.
I remember the train ... used to be over by the Soccer / Baseball / Cricket Pitch

The dragster in the Regina show on the HAMB link has me curious. Where was there a dragstrip for that back then? Southwinds/SIR didn't open for another half dozen years.

Best thing to ever happen to s-toon was repurposing the Albany and tearing down the Barry,Should have been done 50 yrs ago.

Canada1960s_1500.jpg

The dragster in the Regina show on the HAMB link has me curious. Where was there a dragstrip for that back then? Southwinds/SIR didn't open for another half dozen years.

I'm not sure, but I think that dragster belonged to Ken Achs (sp). He was a member of the Draggins, and raced in Edmonton, Calgary and Spokane. (among just a few)

Kenny Achs still is a Draggin ( president ). He presented me with the Draggins Best of Show Award for my 49 5window diesel this last Easter show 2014.

Kenny Achs still is a Draggin ( president ). He presented me with the Draggins Best of Show Award for my 49 5window diesel this last Easter show 2014.

Ah, ha .... So Ken is still active in the Draggins!

Does he still drag race?
I know he is a very successful business man.
My sister talks to him every once and a while.

I don't think Ken is active in the club, as for president? I would question that thinking it would be a more honorary title at this point? I could be wrong but would indeed be surprised to hear he was indeed the president. As for the dragster,, Not sure about that one but I do know that one of his was restored and put into the Canadian racers hall of fame a few years back. Ken is a great guy but I really doubt he has time for presidential duties of the club?

Bash

PS the president of the Draggins is a fella by the name of Ken Dawe (not Ken Achs), owns a baby blue 36 ford and something else just can't think of it right now...

Last edited:
....well then my injectors lines are crossed and I stand corrected on that one Bash. I know I heard Brunno say Ken ....... will present the award and I thought he said Achs but Dawe can sound similar in the noise. The man was tall and slim and had glasses. I don't know Kenny Achs and last seen him many many years ago when he was car dealing on 8th street someplace, my buddy and I pulled in with a 69 Impala SS with a factory muncie 4 spd and Ken jumped in and gave it the gears doing a test run . Thanks for correcting me..:)