Help, Need a supplier in Canada or tips on what to use for flat / satin paint.

Old Ray

Supporting Member
Need a supplier in Canada or tips on what to use for flat / satin paint.

Shipping paint from the USA is expensive, anyone know of a Canadian supplier for hot rod flat / satin paint (white) or something that can be used, thinking maybe epoxy high build primer or whatever? Thanks.
:)

Go to your paint supplier and ask for the flat black paint that goes on the hoods of the late model Chryslers (Charger R/T, for example). Works like a charm.

Hot rod flatz shipping was reasonable when I bought it last.
It's a pain to spray but the only paint I could find.

Got a Rondex store in your area of travel?

Got some Bernardo BESA Urki-Nato Satin from them in black for frame and suspension and a colour for the body. Cost is around 90 / litre including hardner and reducer. A industrial urethane enamel. Available in gloss or satin. Doesn't match up to auto colour codes, but has about 9000 different colours (RAL european standards) you can match to your sample ( I found one that is a perfect match to my sample). ( I had some powder coating done to my wheels and they used the same standards, found a sample at Home Depot in their paint department sample chips). Need a gun with a 1.3 or 1.4 tip.

The guys I dealt with were experienced painters and knew my capabilities (next to none).

So far all I have used it on is small parts. Hoping to get the frame done this week then move on to the body. Been using a P/A cheap touch up gun and the result so far have been great. Nice and even and smooth, no striping. No runs :D .

My blog shows some samples of how the black is turning out. Also the Project part of this forum shows some.

Canuck

Last edited:
ENDURA out of Edmonton is an industrial paint and is tough as nails. The down side to endura is that it is so tough, you can't polish out scratches very well should you get any. However, you can't (to my knowledge) polish out flat or satin paint anyway so may as well use a paint that is less likely to GET scratched in the first place.

Any automotive paint jobber can flatten paint to whatever sheen you want in any colour you want just go talk to them. They don't have different paints for different gloss levels they just add a flattening agent to their existing paint line. The more they add the less gloss. Flat paint is tricky to spray because you have to get it right the first time because you cannot colour sand and buff like you can with gloss paint.
SEM also does a kit of flat hot rod white that pretty much any decent paint jobber could get in. http://www.semproducts.com/low-voc-hot-rod-color-kits/
If you are interested and can't find a local source let me know and I will talk to the SEM rep and find out where you could get it close to where you are located.

Last edited:
Any automotive paint jobber can flatten paint to whatever sheen you want in any colour you want just go talk to them. They don't have different paints for different gloss levels they just add a flattening agent to their existing paint line. The more they add the less gloss. Flat paint is tricky to spray because you have to get it right the first time because you cannot colour sand and buff like you can with gloss paint.
SEM also does a kit of flat hot rod white that pretty much any decent paint jobber could get in. http://www.semproducts.com/low-voc-hot-rod-color-kits/
If you are interested and can't find a local source let me know and I will talk to the SEM rep and find out where you could get it close to where you are located.

Lordco has the SEM version and the PPG Hot Road Version as well

Lordco has the SEM version and the PPG Hot Road Version as well

Thanks for the reply, …….good info.

I don’t know if it is just me, or just my local store, but I find not only the child behind the counter but the tattoo punks and the hung over middle aged guys all have a know it all smart a$$ attitude when they really know nothing, it is hard to handle.

That is probably because it really interferes with MY know it all attitude! :)

I used PPG DX685 flattening agent in the urethane industrial paint on my power wagon. Worked great.