4L80E stand alone brain ?

shane2290

Supporting Member
Anyone know where can find an affordable one ?? has anyone put one of these in ? what about mechanical speedo ??? thought was to put one behind the 427 BBC in the 57 Pontiac

Cheers Shane

Ya doesn't appear to be any bargains on that stuff ---a lot of loot for a O/D tranny --plus swapping out the tailstock for mechanical speedo .........

is an option but consensus says the 700R4 wont stand up to the abuse of 450-500HP .........so the rumours go --I have never ran an automatic --always had 3 pedals ..lol

Cheers Shane

I have a 700r4 in the 39 Chev and it went south last summer so I pulled it and took it to be rebuilt.I stayed with him to see what the insides looked like.Good old GM builds them to last just so long and thats it.Beside the heavy duty parts it was rebuilt with I'm very surprised they last as long as they do.My advise is to buy one as cheap as possible,take it to your favourite transmission guy and have him rebuild it with heavy duty parts.It cost me $1500. but he says it will stand up to all kinds of punishment and between 5 and 600 hp.My 305 doesn't put out that much power but the 4 speed auto with lock up gives decent performance and 22 mpg everyday and on trips between 28 and 29 mpg.