Keeping track....

shaune

Supporting Member
I've been thinking, looking at the recent build pictures and knowing what is involved with ALL the parts, how do you keep track of tasks ?
In aviation, for engine and flight controls, we have what is called a dual inspection. It's just that, another licensed engineer has to sign that they have "dualled" your work.

With all the parts in a build how do you keep track of what is left to tighten, final adjust, still to finish, waiting for, missing something but I can build around it ?

In my garage I am always alone, no help ever unless it's my wife or a kid. For me I use something from my work.......work sheets.
At the end of the night I will note where I left off, note what I still need to install, what still needs tightening. I also use flagging tape, sometimes writing on it what still needs to be done. I have several sheets of notes but I cross the task off when completed.....or add to it as I see required.

Shaune..............that is a great idea. I know of several builds that incurred failures of varying degrees, and costs, that could have been avoided with a system such as you just posted. I myself get lost from time to time, having to postpone a task until parts or time allows completion, and usually end up kicking myself for not adhering to a "system". Would you consider elaborating a little on your post, if you care to. Thanks.

Bgbkwndo.

You already know the answer. Lists, lists and more lists. If the item isn't checked off, it isn't done.

On my first build I had Jon Doe tags on things that needed doing if the task wasn't completed in one go, looked like a mortuary of tasks.

On another, the part didn't go on till it was painted and nothing went on permanently unless it had new fixings, if it was in place with old bolts then it still needed final assy or similar before it was permanent.

The last one, my 52 Merc pickup, I flagged stuff that wasn't finished or tightened or complete with painters masking tape. Revering to recheck & re tighten after a while.

This time with the 58 suburban I'm banging through it quickly enough that I have not tagged, labeled or taped anything, it's just sought a happening:D

To elaborate.....
When I do most tasks at work (aircraft maint) we have job cards, an initial is required at each step of a procedure. Such as building up a prop, complete each line, initial it. At the end you should have a prop built up, no spare parts (at least over the 5% ruling :D) and a sign out at the bottom of sheet...... Nothing was forgotten
As we know there are no "build sheets" scripted for our projects so what I do is I write notes. I am a bit lax on the tear down.....thinking....oh yeah I will remember where this goes :eek::confused: but on reassembly I write notes. Remember notes maybe I will call them.
Front end alignment to be done
Park brake cable to adjusted
Buy trans cooler
You get the idea. Once each item is dealt with I cross it off but sometimes it leads to new lines being added.
On a side note....I HATE to back up my bus ! Once a part is on.....I hate to take it off again, which will kill me I start my 52 truck fab. I know it will be assembled twice or more as it gets fabbed.

Keep a running list of things to do. Add to it every time you think of something. Cross off the done items. You will keep thinking of stuff for the to do list, so as you run out of room and have lots crossed off, start a new list. I find if I keep it to one page it isn't too overwhelming.

In reality I don't use a list until near the end because I build the car once before Paint etc and then check everything over. After it is painted I just reasemble everything then check it over afterwards to make sure all is done. Then we have a Tech inspection and they are supposed to check everything over as well before Rego etc. I know what needs to be done and just do it, as a rule I have done alright.

What I might do a list of is parts that are needed like bolts etc.

I did keep a note on what this last car cost for stuff I had to buy ........ bugger that I don't think I'll do that again hahaha.

Last edited:
Last build I kept a diary, and at the end of every day I would write down what was completed that day. Of course, I also had a list of parts that were needed as well. I didn't have the benefit of a digital camera back then, but this time every time I remove something from the car it will have its' portrait taken. A pic being worth 1,000 words and all that...

Digital cameras are great too. Sheesh I remember when I first ripped apart my Mustang years ago.....oh if only.
Yes cameras are good indeed.
So it sounds like notes are common.
Kevin I am at Gov of Sk on water bombers, next door to TW.

Myself, if it isn't tight then I leave the nut off or do something similiar. I try to finish one task at a time but it usually ends up being 4 or 5 tasks at a time with all the problems you run into.
Right now I'm waiting for a few pieces so I can install the headliner, in the meantime I cleaned, painted and installed the pedals, have to rebend a fuel line, am in the middle of redoing the right motor mount, have to paint and final assemble the E-cables and am thinking about the rear sway bar install.
I never make lists but I'm a Train Dispatcher and Yardmaster by trade so I'm used to juggling 100 things at once in a constantly changing environment. I know guys that lose their way doing one thing if the phone rings.

Sheldon