to buy or run like heck....

wrascal

I have been looking for a mustang convertible for a summer driver fun car instead of just driving my f250 and found a really cool one. It is a 2002 Roush mustang that looks in great shape, has the Roush side pipes and everything and was a great price. The seller wants only cash, which I have no problem with as everyone needs to protect themselves from bogus checks, but when I called him, he said we could set up a place to meet. At that point alarm bells started up in my head.... what is he hiding? Is the car hot or a fixed up "salvage only title"....... What are your thoughts and experience?:confused:

Russ

Search the VIN. Look for obvious signs of an accident - overspray, frame repairs, etc.

Run the vin through ICBC or the RCMP. Better safe than sorry. A check for liens couldn't hurt. This deal sounds hinky.

Just do your VIN search through ICBC, send them $7 by money order - they won't do it over the phone unfortunately - and you'll be in the clear. Presumably the guy has some sort of registration for the car, hopefully it's B.C. reggie.
And like Fordnutz says, it might be a good idea to check with the gendarmes. Better safe than sorry.

You need also to examine the registration. It will say if it is a USA import or a Canadian Import (another province).There are usually services in cities your size who can do lien searches. The notaries would know who they are.
The registration will also indicate if it is a "rebuilt". This goes on the status line at the right top of the reggy.

Last edited:
My experience is if I'm selling something valuable like a Roush Mustang I may not want strangers poking around my garage either.

It's happen a few times where the seller has been ripped off a day or two later by car thieves.

Randy

Do as the other say plus instead of cash get a bank draft....just as good to the sellor as cash plus it is another way for you to verify the sellors name plus it gives you some protection that you actually gave the money and the car is paid in full.

I sold a boring Mustang coupe last year and I always made sure it was sitting on the street when people came to look at it. No reason for anyone to be in my garage.

However this guy is maybe a little too cautious.

There might be a Rousch registry that you can find out if that vehicle has a dubious past or has been stolen. Kinda like this one....

http://www.fnsweet.com/cgi-bin/registry/search.cgi

Gramps has a good point with the bank draft.

Also, bring another person with you. Preferably a big guy.

It doesn't matter how big you are, a few buddies with baseball bats or a gun trumps everything. I can understand how somebody might be fearful of having someone check out their place. I may call him back and see if there is safe middle ground for both of us. Thanks for the insight guys!:D

Russ

there called curbsters, they buy a car, don,t register it in their name,[ to avoid paying tax on it then sell to someone else] that,s why they don,t what you at their house

Should you decide to do a search Russ, the address for the search department is:
I. C. B. C.,
Room 154,
151 West Esplanade,
North Vancouver, B. C.
V7M 3H9

Better not be anything wrong with it, guaranteed you'll never see the guy again once he has your money.

personally I would disagree with the statement that bank drafts are as good as cash. Many people have been burned buy a fake bank draft. Can Am auctions in langley had an imprint machine in one of their auctions a few months back?!?! Cash is king.
As for the meeting somewhere.....never! I tried that once and got burned on a set of heads:( I do not let people into my shop, what ever is for sale will be outside the door with the door closed. I have sold stuff and had people spend more time looking at what else was in my garage than what they were supposed to be there looking to buy. I would never buy a car from a meeting place! Curber or not just my $.02

Confirm registration and pink slip to his D/l, if all match, take a photo of it with your cell phone. No excuses. If he has a problem with that, a red flag.

If no match, run...real fast.

There's been lots of suggestions here, and I might as well throw mine into the mix. Very simple...... Go with your gut. If it seems funny to you, keep shopping, and even though you might spend more money elsewhere, you will also feel comfortable with it.

just bring one or 2 guys with you, a camera , or something to record with. If he thinks that you'll pay him on the spot then he must have another ride there to take him home ?? Check out the car, take the serial number etc and say you will get back to him very soon . You both go home empty handed. If the car checks out OK then call him again for the exchange, done deal.

Not to be morbid here, but people have been killed making a cash car deal meeting a stranger. You have the cash, he has a gun a
or a couple of buddies. Just sayin.

I would just tell him I'd like to have have a look at it first with no intentions of buying it that day.
You should be able to size up what kind of guy your dealing with in person.
Meet somewhere like a mall, but not Metro town, a lot of people get shot there.

I am going with my gut feelings and after talking to my old next door neighbor that was a Vancouver cop for years before retirement, I am not going anywhere near that deal. I will just keep shopping for what I really want.:D

Russ