Tragedy to start the GNRS

Wow......a sad day indeed....hopefully the judge survives without any serious long term disabilities....etc......

Actually, in BC there have been two or three serious stuck throttle crashes in vintage hot rods. One, I personally know of, the throttle lever got stuck under the air cleaner.

I forgot to add.....is that the "Pineapple Princess" recreation car ???

Last edited:
We're heading over there tomorrow from AZ so I guess we'll hear 1st hand about his condition.

Wow......a sad day indeed....hopefully the judge survives without any serious long term disabilities....etc......

Actually, in BC there have been two or three serious stuck throttle crashes in vintage hot rods. One, I personally know of, the throttle lever got stuck under the air cleaner.

I forgot to add.....is that the "Pineapple Princess" recreation car ???

Yes. It's the pineapple princess 2

I sincerely and honestly hope the judge will be okay. And I'm trying NOT to be insensitive, but if that is a recreation/clone, and my memory serves me correctly, the original had a purple frame, different wheels,and different seat mounts. I went over the original with a fine tooth comb a long time ago when the crazy old guy north of Yorkton had it, and while the wrecked car is/was a real nice car, it is very different than the original.

Well, first thing is to hope that the judge makes a rapid recovery from such a nasty shock.
As Keith says, there have been a few stuck throttle incidents in B.C. in the past. The only one I'm familiar with was when a young (21 y.o.) fellow put a 409 in a '58 Chevy in Vancouver back around '64 or so. The gas pedal stuck wide open when they were going up Granville street and hit another car. The driver and both passengers in the Chevy were seriously injured. It was front page news in the Sun.

This is the Pineapple Princess tribute car. He calls it the Hawaiian. I think the Rod Shop in Calgary built it. Important thing is the judge's injuries are not really serious. Cars can be rebuilt and SHIT HAPPENS.

Thankfully the Judge will most likely recover ,, the stuck throttle thing , as was mentioned on Hamb ,,, May have be ??? not saying for sure ,,, But I have done it ,, One foot over lapping two pedals .. Pushing on the brake and hitting the throttle at the same time ,, Push harder it gets worse . Who knows ,, Just a bad situation ,, and in the Lime Light .. when every one is watching .. Very sad deal

This is the Pineapple Princess tribute car. He calls it the Hawaiian. I think the Rod Shop in Calgary built it. Important thing is the judge's injuries are not really serious. Cars can be rebuilt and SHIT HAPPENS.

Yes, built by the Rod Shop in Calgary and debuted at the 2013 Calgary WOW show. Non-running at the time, engine was not fully completed nor all the wiring.
A small fortune was spent to get that engine running after the show.

Owner actually owned the original Pineapple Princess.

UPDATE:

Judge has two broken ribs, stitches for a head wound and scrapes and bruises, expected to recover fully.

Last edited:
Nasty business for sure. Hate to see that happen.
I remember years ago at a Richie Auction in Surrey BC when the throttle of a straight axle '63 Sunbeam Alpine gasser stuck open leaving the auction block.
It flew off the viewing stand, shot out the side door, crossed the parking lot and crashed into some parked vehicles.
Luckily no one was hurt. Needless to say the fellow that won the auction, didn't buy it.

...This is the original Pineapple Princess. I took this picture in the late seventies when it was north of Yorkton and was for sale. I had serious intentions of buying it, but that strange ol coot didn't take me seriously. Wouldn't even uncover it for me.... so I take a picture, and leave......
It did surface in Saskatoon at Super Run a few years back. A family that had ties to it years earlier owned it and said it would never be for sale. Next thing I heard it had sold and went south of the border.....
Stan. .................

img016.jpg

They must have done a good job of cloning the Pineapple Princess. I was in contact with the previous owner of the original Pineapple Princess and he said “I had the same thing happen to me, but no damage, ran up against garage door” :eek:

A majority of these show cars are not made for the street and never have inspections. As beautiful as the cars are in the GNR show you wouldn’t want to head out on a trip with them. The report says the throttle stuck but not sure who would be on the accelerator that hard indoors and also makes me wonder if it had any braking power to stop it.

Unfortunate indeed for all involved. Headed over tomorrow and looking forward to the show.

'strange ol coot' ..... now THAT was a mild understatement. That old fart was nuttier than a Christmas fruitcake. He was always reasonable with me - I bought a car from him - but a buddy of mine went there to try deal on the roadster, and he chased him out of the yard with his Dodge M37.....

They must have done a good job of cloning the Pineapple Princess. I was in contact with the previous owner of the original Pineapple Princess and he said “I had the same thing happen to me, but no damage, ran up against garage door” :eek:

A majority of these show cars are not made for the street and never have inspections. As beautiful as the cars are in the GNR show you wouldn’t want to head out on a trip with them. The report says the throttle stuck but not sure who would be on the accelerator that hard indoors and also makes me wonder if it had any braking power to stop it.

Unfortunate indeed for all involved. Headed over tomorrow and looking forward to the show.

Wouldn't take much. The judging stand runs across the width of the hall so there is probably no more than 20 feet from there to the wall. I don't think it really hit super hard just in the right place to push the wheel back. Other than that and the nerf bar it doesn't look like there was that much damage to the car. Probably a good thing there wasn't a bunch of room for the car to possibly accelerate even more and thankfully considering what the outcome could have been Vic is not too seriously hurt.

Well, first thing is to hope that the judge makes a rapid recovery from such a nasty shock.
As Keith says, there have been a few stuck throttle incidents in B.C. in the past. The only one I'm familiar with was when a young (21 y.o.) fellow put a 409 in a '58 Chevy in Vancouver back around '64 or so. The gas pedal stuck wide open when they were going up Granville street and hit another car. The driver and both passengers in the Chevy were seriously injured. It was front page news in the Sun.

It was front page in the May 6th 1962 Sun and Province and it was my Aunt Yvonne that got hit! The crest of the hill on Granville south of 16th at Angus was a lot sharper back then and the car flew in the air before skidding across the centerline into my aunt's car.

It was front page in the May 6th 1962 Sun and Province and it was my Aunt Yvonne that got hit! The crest of the hill on Granville south of 16th at Angus was a lot sharper back then and the car flew in the air before skidding across the centerline into my aunt's car.

Yes, that would be it. I didn't know the driver...but he had just come into a million dollars when he turned 21 and spent some of his cash on that car. But I did know one of the passengers and he was very badly banged up. If I remember, the car was said to be going 80 mph when it hit. I'm guessing that you have the newspaper article.

.....I remember the car sitting there north of Yorkton , and in Saskatoon a few years back at Super Run. It has neat history. The seats were made from steel barrels if I remember right . The motor just dominated the whole front.