Happiness is:

Sheldon

Hooking up the darn bead blaster after 5 years of non-use. I forgot what a fulfilling, simple, mindless task blasting parts is. Gotta love it. I'll never be without my little buddy again.

Sheldon

Beadblasting is good for the soul because it give visual progress immediately and progress is always a good thing.

You should give home powder coating a try. Any powder you don't use, you can put back into the container, no special fans and no toxic fumes to kill you, you use an old oven (bonus as you have an element for a coffee pot) and it is really inexpensive compared to paint these days....

Russ

I've been thinking about that all right. I've quit spraying automotive paint because of all the toxins anyway.

Sheldon

You should give home powder coating a try. Any powder you don't use, you can put back into the container, no special fans and no toxic fumes to kill you, you use an old oven (bonus as you have an element for a coffee pot) and it is really inexpensive compared to paint these days....

Russ

Russ, you should start a thread on powder coating. Never done any myself, but down on the coast I saw Ray's frame done by an outfit in Nanaimo, cost him $300. Beautiful job.

I see that Eastwood is plugging their powder coating kits. Would make for an interesting thread to hear from the guys that have some experience and know of the obstacles etc.

powder coating

I have an Eastwood powder coating kit. It is the most rewarding thing you can add to your arsenal. I've coated a number of items from a-arms, bumper brackets, interior dash pieces, even a hand gun. Your biggest limitation is the size of your oven. You can coat anything as long as it will fit into your oven. One thing that I have done is the first coat of reflective chrome, baked then sprayed with a translucent color over top and baked again. It gives your piece depth and a nice finish. What I like,is that clean up is so minimal compared to painting. Money well invested!!

Thanks Hillbilly, any chance you could post a pic or two?

Edit to add:

'Tis OK, I have just seen your new build thread started. That powder coating looks extremely nice!

Last edited: