Back from lurking now with pics

HotRodPete

Supporting Member
Hey gang

Finally got off my butt and started my build, started the end of September and have been working evenings and weekends to try and accomplish something. I have not posted on here in sometime but thought I would chime in now I have pics. I know how you guys like pics. Try and go easy on me this is my first build. I am building a closed cab T truck on a model a frame, I also have a weaver auto hoist tow boom I am going to mount to give me my little tow truck. Enjoy the pics will post more as I get them.

Since September you have made awesome progress. What is the front axle...
older GM??

Looks good but is that sorta 4 bar in the back gonna keep the rearend from wandering back and forth.
Might need a panhard bar or watts link.

Well it has been lotsa evenings and weekends I try to accomplish at least one thing per evening and more on weekends. The axle from what I learned is 1957 Chevy truck. The setup is a triangulated 4 link so it apparently does not need a panhard bar .... Correct me if I am wrong

Cheers
Pete

Easy way to tell if you need a Panhard. Disconnect the shocks and see if you can move the rear end side to side.

installing a short panhard bar or watts link is also safety measure to ensure nothing happens in case something breaks.

Great to see another TT being built, this is only the third Canadian truck I have seen in all the time I have had mine, and that's been over three decades. Nice work on the build so far.

Thanks guys.. I think I will take the advice and install a panhard bar for extra protection. Hope to have it road worthy for summer or at the least Kalamazoo. Have work to do on the weaver auto crane tow boom but should make for some conversation as a tow truck. Brian there is something unique I like about these t trucks. Seeing yours at Kalamazoo has been inspirational to say the least.

... I'm liking the look of that truck ...

As for tri-angulated links,
I suppose it depends on how many degrees you have on the upper bars that will determine the effectiveness for any sideways movement.

I too am using a tri-angulated 4 link but never gave it much thought as I was told also, " you don't need a panhard bar."

My rearend does not move side to side when I jack the wheels off the ground, but when you add the twisting or breaking force that's applied to the mounting points when you put body weight and speed in the equation, it may be worth the peace of mind to add a Panhard Bar or Watts Link.

Last edited:
Now that we got the rearend figured out it's on to the next one.
What are you going to use on the front axle?
Those coil overs won't keep it in place.
Another panhard bar in your future, perhaps!!

...nice looking build although (maybe it's the camera angle) it looks like the front lower shock mounts look vulnerable to me....

Now that we got the rearend figured out it's on to the next one.
What are you going to use on the front axle?
Those coil overs won't keep it in place.
Another panhard bar in your future, perhaps!!

Right...don't forget that the original leaf spring in front was firmly attached to the frame in the middle, so other than the amount of play from the shackles, that front end couldn't move much.

Now with the coils as you have them installed, there will be more sideways movement available. It won't be a huge amount, but the problem is that all the sideways force will now essentially be transferred directly to the shock mounts. As you probably know, coils usually go with an IFS, wherein the hubs are stabilized by direct mounting to the upper and lower control arms.

I think you might suffer from some rather extreme bump steer troubles the way you have it now.

I'm just waiting for a tech book to arrive on suspensions, and when it does I may be able to pass on more info.

Good info guys and yes I only work on days ending in y ....I like that ... There is a panhard bar on the front it hides in the crossmember thought I would try this configuration I am also using a unisteer rack I am a not the norm kind of guy keep the feedback coming I appreciate it today's project is to install panhard on the rear for extra protection sorry for the lack of commas etc but I am on a break in the man cave on my iPhone

Cheers
Pete

Very glad to hear that you have the front axle located well! You had us all worried there for a minute.

You're totally excused for the lack of punctuation BTW. :D We just need more pics!

. Brian there is something unique I like about these t trucks. Seeing yours at Kalamazoo has been inspirational to say the least.[/QUOTE]

Pete, the old brain matter just moved, now I know who you are.
It has always been nice to talk to you at Nats North over the past few years. I believe it was back in 09 that we first met one another. And your annual visits has all come to this point in time. A real neat story line towards the build.
Good on you for your drive to get the truck built.
If at any time I can be of some help, please call, ( number in Rodside directory).

Brian

What year Model T

Hey gang

Finally got off my butt and started my build, started the end of September and have been working evenings and weekends to try and accomplish something. I have not posted on here in sometime but thought I would chime in now I have pics. I know how you guys like pics. Try and go easy on me this is my first build. I am building a closed cab T truck on a model a frame, I also have a weaver auto hoist tow boom I am going to mount to give me my little tow truck. Enjoy the pics will post more as I get them.

Very nice looking work on the frame etc.Just wondering what year your PU box is as I have a T box that is identical.It has the front stake pockets at the extreme corners which I believe was earlier than 26 0r 27 ?

Good info guys and yes I only work on days ending in y ....I like that ... There is a panhard bar on the front it hides in the crossmember thought I would try this configuration I am also using a unisteer rack I am a not the norm kind of guy keep the feedback coming I appreciate it today's project is to install panhard on the rear for extra protection sorry for the lack of commas etc but I am on a break in the man cave on my iPhone

Cheers
Pete

Don't put a panhard bar on the back with your tri angulated links.. The panhard bar will try to make the rearend travel in a slight arc according to the length of the bar ,,where the Triangulated raduius rods will want the rearend to stay excactly centered ,, The two systems will be fighting each other , binding the rear suspension and eventually one of the two upper bars or the panhard bar will break ..