Barn Find 57 Chev Gasser

Hey, Thanks for the invite! I will be back in the Spring, as my daughter just bought as new place south of PR. Last time we spoke, was when that "Fool" parted out that 66' Mopar Wagon!:eek: John.

i remember that.... you still have my contact info John? just gimmie a lttle notice before you come up and i will be more than happy to tour you around a bit. lotsa cool stuff tucked away here. papermill, logging and fishing town so over the yrs lotsa money spent on toys.....

there was an old dirt runway they connected with a logging road to make a ciircle track. back in the late 60's early 70's the local timing association teamed up with the cops and the cops used to send cruisers out to shut down the highway so cars could race. i don't know about spot to be paved for a drag strip.
and i remember Charlie working at Monks Dodge, i used to run parts for my Dad's shop and i would deliver to Monks. i was a young guy but i remember Charlie at the pumps sometimes.....

Thanks. Any idea where on the highway that was? It sounds like a legit deal, there were drags like that in many BC towns.

I miss Uncle Charlie, he was a real good ol' boy!

Thanks. Any idea where on the highway that was? It sounds like a legit deal, there were drags like that in many BC towns.

I miss Uncle Charlie, he was a real good ol' boy!

they used to shut down the Sunshine coast Hwy on the straight stretch just west of Roberts Rd. and Swan Rd. i looked on Google maps, its low resolution photos of the area, across the highway there is an xmas tree farm now. and later on there were some illegle drags on the stretch just past the Eagle River bridge, this was the early 70's

Thanks, i'll add that to my list. It seems that a lot of small towns had drags like that.
I have heard rumours but no confirmation of such in Castlegar and Revelstoke or Golden too.

In 1970 or 71 Jerry McDonald and Doug Murray were invited to a car show in Powell River. Jerry had a '63 Plymouth (Gehemini) and Doug had his '70 cuda wheelstander, the purpose of the show was to raise money for a proposed drag strip. At some point during the weekend they took us out to the site-my memory tells me it was cleared and leveled but was lacking base and of course paving. This was somewhere in the woods, but never having been there before or since, I have no idea where it was. Danny Parsons, a current MRP racer could probably fill in any details.

Well before the Boundary Bay Airport Drag Strip opened in Delta BC, there was illegal drag racing on the old Ladner Ferry Rd in the mid 60's.
I was in my mid teens then and remembered a lot of very fine cars showing up to that until the Delta Fuzz shut it down.

out there in PR

i remember that.... you still have my contact info John? just gimmie a lttle notice before you come up and i will be more than happy to tour you around a bit. lotsa cool stuff tucked away here. papermill, logging and fishing town so over the yrs lotsa money spent on toys.....

Hey; Glad you recall that "wonderful memory", I don't think he ever did unload that Wagon!! Send me your Contact Ph. no. to my e-mail okdraft@telus.net
I will look foward to getting together and downing some of the Townsite Brew! :D Cheers, John.