Gas tank straps- what to use

Martin

I'm looking to make new gas tank straps to sling the original tank back under the 58 Suburban.
The straps that came off are pretty mangled and rusted beyond use.
Just wondering if anyone had made replacement straps for your own tank and what material you used.

I'm thinking that bright orange ratchet straps are not quite going to get it through BC inspection:D

I made mine from 1/8" x1" steel strapping and bent it to shape.
Probably overkill but it made me feel better about it.

I used 1 1/2 x 1/2 with a lentgh of old fire hose as a cushion Nice & comfy!! Frank

Last edited:
I used 1 1/2 wide by 14 gauge material for straps with webbing underneath.

Thanks chaps, turns out that the old one were not that bad after all.
The "cracks" in the straps was just the old underseal stressing. All I ended up doing was making them straight, scraping all the old coating off, welding on a new bolt on one of them and painted them both.

They are now loosely supporting the Repainted and newly lined tank.
Just need to find something for the padding.

Just about one third of the body underside to finish rotary/wire brushing and I get to lay underneath and paint it. It'll then get tarped and my little heater will sit in there and caress it dry.

Next step is then to get it back on the frame though that may be a little eager as I still need to route the E brake cables and plan the exhaust.

If you check with your local heavy truck dealership parts dept, they keep rubber strapping to line the inside of fuel tank brackets. I can usually find different profiles, widths, and edges to fit whatever style of strap I am working with.

I usually shear stainless into whatever width required for the strap and bend where necessary to fashion copies of the originals. No maintence or paint required.