Insurance and Emissions

Hoseclamp

Just wondering, has anyone had any experience with registering/safetying a hot rod/kustom in Nova Scotia or any other province with strict emissions and safety inspection standards? I'm a ways off from having to do this but am curious what kind of hoops you have to jump through.

donno 'bout your side o' the map H/C,... but they have'nt been tryin' ta kill us here yet,... altho the lower mainland guys have had some small struggles wiyh what they call 'aircare'.............

Davey,I hate to correct ya, but that's Airscare!!!Most people get pretty stressed about runnin' the vehicles thru because,if ya fail it's gonna cost ya money!!!That's for a conditional pass.Usually a minimum of $200.My GMC failed once,the bill $500!!Work has to performed by a authorised repair center.

Just wondering, has anyone had any experience with registering/safetying a hot rod/kustom in Nova Scotia or any other province with strict emissions and safety inspection standards? I'm a ways off from having to do this but am curious what kind of hoops you have to jump through.

What strick emissions in NS ? Where do you live ?
We have MVI in NS, if it passes safety inspection, it's registerable & insurable. Never heard of emission tests in NS, not yet anyway.

As long as the vehicle passes MVI, good brakes, no through rust, cracked glass, lights all work, suspension good, good rubber, it'll pass. Vintage vehicles do not need seat belts ( but why wouldn't ya put them in ) or daytime running lights. Vehicles do not need bumpers as long as there are no bumper brackets extruding from the front or back of vehicle.

Last edited:
Thanks Bullet, I guess the lack of older cars on the road had me concerned. Being from Saskatchewan originally I'm a bit ignorant of whats involved with a safety.

I'm an inplant from BC, arrived 6 yrs. ago and I also was ignorant as to what was required in this province.
NS is very behind the rest of the country with regards to vehicle licencing. NS is the way BC used to be, before ICBC and their vehicle inspection stations, and now Airscare.
So have no fear, it's easier then you may think.
The reason there's no old cars on the road is because the salt here destroys them. One thing you have to do if you want your vehicle to last at least 10 yrs. is under coat it with oil, ( every summer, when the weathers hot, so that the goo runs into all the cracks and crevices ). The salt will destroy it in less then 2 yrs if you don't.

Last edited: