Red Tek 12a or 134a for Vintage Air

PG409

Supporting Member
About to charge my vintage air system for the first time.
They say only 134a will be warranted on the Sanden compressor.

Red Tek 12a is a better refrigerant, no cancer causing substances,...

Any experience out there??

Keith

PG409,
I don't know about B.C. but here in Ontario you cannot buy R12, ONLY, R134. We have had R12 banned for 2 years. You're right, R134 is not as good a refrigerant as R12, but what do we know

Rochie

Red Tek is a drop in replacement for R 12. It has way less
Greenhouse gas contributions than even 134A.
It is legal for sale in BC, as R12 has been banned.

Keith

Rochie

Red Tek is a drop in replacement for R 12. It has way less
Greenhouse gas contributions than even 134A.
It is legal for sale in BC, as R12 has been banned.

Keith

I saw this at canadian tire and Wal-mart. It appears to be a good swap in for R12 and is propane based from what I read with chemical added to prevent ignition until a very high temp. I will be trying it out on my 86 once I seal it up as the R12 has slowly leaked out. I would personally want to clean out the air with a vacuum system before adding the Red-Tek Stuff. Air likes to carry moisture.

Our airplanes have R12 in them but now we are using a replacement called R414, came from a place in Ontario.

:DPG409 I just finished charging my vintage air in my 34 with 134A .My air temp at the duct is 37F .Cold enough for me . Now what crimp system did you use and did you use barrier hose .This is very important .If you used the beadlock crimper and barrier hose you can use 134a or 12 but 12 is not availeable any more . Just off track .If you have an old R12 System that has no leaks you can convert it by draining the compressor oil and put in pag oil . You do not have to change to barrier hoses .The reason is the r12 creates a protection on the inner liner of the hose but it takes about a year to build up.You canot put 134a in a new system with the old style hoses .The molecular structure of 134a is much smaller than R12.It will just leak out. Have I lost you?:rolleyes: My advise is stick with 134a .The difference is in the condenser (outside rad) They make them 20% bigger to accomodated the loss in efficency .
Bob

R-12 has been banned for automotive use in Ontario since 2000. R-134A has been in use by most automotive manufacturers since the mid 90's.

This is R12A a replacement for R12 and R134a, however it is
hydrocarbon based and is not approved by the US EPA and many
states have banned it.
Alberta, Sask, and Ontario do not recommend it as well.
Flammability seems to be the main issue.
So, I think will go with 134a

Keith

Hey Keith,
"Propane based" yep sounds like a boom in somebody's future. Some of the lesser lights in used car territory in Detroit were using , propane (NOT based just propane ) and BUTANE, you know the stuff in Bic lighters to recharge A/C systems in their lot cars. Front ender anyone???
Clean 84/85 you are correct and thanks for reminding me. I have run the Ozone Depletion Certification program here at the college for years...just a "mind too full" right now.

No problem Rochie. I remember doing courses to get my ODP card. I have to figure out what to do with the A/C system on my car. I'm still running R12, and haven't touched the system since about 1999. Its been OK, but getting less efficient every year. I have a friend that retrofitted his R12 system to
R134A, and had problems with it after the conversion, so I've been reluctant to make any changes.

I didn't say this and you didn't hear it from me....BUT.. there's that butt again, there are certain outlets in the states that still carry R12 recharge kits. Couple lbs of r12 and a manifold to stick it in with. You might want to try wally world or targee' the next time you over. I know I saw it last year on my way home from out west, and couldn't believe my eyes.

Rochie.....there are still "bootleggers" right in BC that will sell
you the stuff!!

wayne an' keith.... the 'redtek' stuff came out as a "replacement" fer r134 a couple o' yrs back.... the molecular structure o' this stuff was such that it did'nt leak down an' unlicensed folk could install it.... i have'nt really followed it's success rate altho i can check it out...........

134 a with red tek 12a

Hello

Please if anybody can tell me if I really need to empty the A/C system from 134 a complete before installing the Red Tek 12a and also if anybody know exact were is located the inlet for the refrigerant for 1999 VW Beetle.:confused:

Thank you very much

Red tek

Keith we used red tek in all of our air installations for modified or regular cars. We never had any warranty problems with any manufacturer with the use of this product and red tek cools at a lower rpm. Bob

Jantater, R12a should not be added and mixed with R12 or R134. The system needs to be evacuated first then you can use the R12a. R12a is able to replace R134 and R12 auto ac systems. R12a is legal in Canada and the US to use. R12 is banned. Do not use R12 oil with R12a as it is corrosive to your system.

Below is the R12a info sheet:
http://www.redtek.com/win_12a_refintro.html

Material Safety Data sheet:
http://www.redtek.com/win_12a_msds_lg.html

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
R12

A few years back about 06 I ran lowbed for Huber Farm Equitpment at Mudd River and discovered that the farm macinery is still allowed to be charged with R12 So if you know someone in the buisiness--------------

Garry

Hey boys, this initial post of mine was made in April 2008. The car has been charged with 134a all this time. 34degrees F at the vents. Works awesome.
The guy wanting to bootleg the R12 has only made 1 post ..............?

Thanks PG409 was too tired still thought it was 2009. The thread sure has had a lot of lookers though! :eek::eek: