Kijiji games

Fonzie

I know how annoying it can be trying to sell a car on Kijiji or any of these other classified sites. There's plenty of time wasters and people just goofing around. On the other hand, there's been several postings I've responded to and never got a response. This is the case right now with a car I'm interested in. I've sent along some questions about the car and asked whether I can come and see it. No response. My messages usually consist of a paragraph or two and aren't like some of these scammers with the 1 sentence BS.

There is no mention in the classified of calling them. It's long distance and with my work schedule I don't have a lot of spare time to be calling. So e-mail works best.

It makes you wonder how serious people are about selling their cars. :rolleyes:

I have had the same problem with Kijiji. My son in law sells and buys on there all the time but I don't know how he does it. Nobody ever answers my queries. I don't get it.

I've bought and sold several times using Kijiji no problem.
Do find the odd dick that doesn't respond to inquiries, I just move on, their loss.

Last edited:
I have replied to kijiji ads and also ads on the VRBO website when I'm at work. There's something about the firewall or the wireless here that just doesn't allow my emails to go through. When I get home and use my own wireless, no problems. All I'm saying is maybe its a technology thing and not the person at the other end. However it just may be the guy at the other end.

...emails from your work location may be stored in spam folders at the recipients' end (i.e. unsolicited advertising)....

I've used kijiji alot and have found that the emails don't always work. Always check mark your reply be sent to you as well. Even if it says you sent a reply to the seller and don't get the copy in your email then it didn't go through to him. Proxy ip's will stop it too. best ph the guy if there is a ph number. If you don't get a email reply quick then shoot him another one. Some guys just don't look in their junk box either if it ends up there. Not much else a guy can do, but yeah, kijiji is not the best for emails working.

I got scammed this weekend no Kijiji.

Found the front of a 28 A phaeton and the guy only wanted $200.00 for it. It had real good doors which I need for my roadster along with a gas tank. I was the first one to view the ad and immediately told the guy I would take it. He agreed to the purchase. The $200.00 he was asking was to got to be true and I guess it was.

I believe over the next couple of days he had multiple offers over what he was asking and eventually took the best one.

I eventually heard for the guy and he has decided to give the parts to his brother. Do I believe this? NO I don't.

This is the third time that this has happened to me with offers I have make with Kijiji.

I am not sure what the answer is, but is sure is easy to get screwed over on Kijiji?

Found the front of a 28 A phaeton and the guy only wanted $200.00 for it. It had real good doors which I need for my roadster along with a gas tank. I was the first one to view the ad and immediately told the guy I would take it. He agreed to the purchase. The $200.00 he was asking was to got to be true and I guess it was.

I believe over the next couple of days he had multiple offers over what he was asking and eventually took the best one.

I eventually heard for the guy and he has decided to give the parts to his brother. Do I believe this? NO I don't.

This is the third time that this has happened to me with offers I have make with Kijiji.

I am not sure what the answer is, but is sure is easy to get screwed over on Kijiji?

That reminds me of a car I wanted to buy last summer. Guy had a 1940 Ford and lived only minutes from where I live. Had a quick look at the car and asked if I could take it for a spin. Out came all the excuses about how he had been drinking and that he'd have to move 5 daily drivers just to make room. So I asked when would be a good time. He worked night shift so he suggested coming back on the Tuesday. Monday night I decided to have another look at the ad and see that the car was sold . So I assume that he already had somebody lined up to buy it and wanted to see who'd offer him the most.

I don't think scammed is the right word. As I understand it, you didn't lose any money, or end up with a different product.

Either way, I find that with Kijiji, money and immediate action talk. When I find something I just have to have, I'm finding out how soon I can put money in his hands and take the part away.
I've missed out on things that I said I'd buy, because I couldn't get there for a couple of days.

I know we can lament the old days when saying "I'll take it" meant there was a deal, and a handshake was all that was needed, but they're gone. Especially online, it's the fastest one to show up with cash that usually wins.

took a week

I just bought a car on kijiji I live in Kamloops car in vancover it took a week, his timing was not there.I was lucky got the car no price changing and it was what he said.

I don't know for sure if harvest is the reason for lack of Kijiji replies, but I think something needs to be done if you have an ad and don't reply to inquiries within 24 hours or so. In the past week, I've replied to at least 10 ads, and I received 1 reply back. Most of them either never had a photo in their ad, or had a photo of someone else's item, " looks just like this one." So I ask a couple questions......no reply. Very frustrating. I think if you have an ad posted, and cannot reply within at least 48 hours, take the ad down. I do the " send me a copy of the message " thing too, and I receive them right away.
Sorry, but that's my morning rant. Let's get the day started!!

As far as Kijiji goes……………..You get what you pay for………………….free ads, nothing. !

I have quite a number of ads on Kijiji and most of the people who answer my ads are genuine and very honest. I think Kijiji offers a great service for us to sell and trade for parts we need. From time to time there are tire kickers who try to beat you down in price or say they will show up at a certain time and never do show up.

My own take on it , having been in retail for 25 years , is that the internet is a "double edged sword " , so to speak . The number of prospects out there has multiplied immensely , but so has the bullshit . It goes with the territory .....the days of a handshake , or a promise , meaning anything is long gone . I guess you have to have zero expectations these days .

T

I have bought a fair bit from kijiji and usually with success, selling items also not too bad. My location scares buyers a lot of times....being at the edge of the world. I agree with Restorex, if you are selling reply back. For most of us :p emails are instant on our phones. Yes you might have plenty to reply back to but that is a courtesy...... Your momma should have thought you that.

I know we can lament the old days when saying "I'll take it" meant there was a deal, and a handshake was all that was needed, but they're gone.

Unfortunate but you are correct. Several times recently i've had that "I'll take it" when i'm selling stuff only to have the supposed buyer just walk away... in person , like at a swap meet. :confused:
On Craigslist or Kijiji i've had almost no luck, rare to get anyone who emails even show up.

Unfortunately "I'll take it" means when cash hits my palm. Till then its still for sale. Thats how I have found I need to operate now. A man's word isn't worth much anymore.

Shaune makes a good point about the instantaneous nature of email and people accessing email via their phones. As a seller now it seems that if you don't reply instantly then people lose interest and will just move on to something else. Kind of comes with the territory.

The one thing that bugs me is people who reply without reading the ad. I always put as much info in the ad as possible, including a list of known issues so that I'm not wasting anyone's time and they're not wasting mine. I also always state that if the ad is posted then the item is still for sale, so I usually ignore replies that consist solely of "do you still have this" as that's a known spamming tactic.