Canadian cars in U.S. mags 50's and 60's

023.jpg
[/IMG]Here is more of that issue
022-1.jpg
[/IMG]

If anyone out there has any info on any of the cars we have been putting on here, please chime in. Would be interesting to know if they still exist or what has happened to them. There are a lot of cars in the Rod and Custom article from across Canada. Thanks Henry J. Pat.

Hey.thanks to all who are participating here. The photos, the magazine articles...keep em coming guys!! Plus, if ANYONE knows any stories/info/wherabouts of the vehicles chime in too.

This car was featured in Oct 1961 Car Craft. From Toronto, owned by Bill Balzer. Somehow the name and car is familiar to me. Was it discussed on this board some time back?

scan0020.jpg

Same issue October 1961 Car Craft. Gary Cooper's T from Vancouver.

scan0019.jpg

As Promised, Norm Porter's' 50 Convert from Victoria. October 1963 Hot Rod mag.

scan0021.jpg

...More on the Pineapple Princess....I took this photo in 1978. It was sitting in a front yard just north of Yorkton, Sask. It was for sale along with the other gems in the picture. I stopped because I was interested in buying it. But apparently I didn't look like a hot rodder that day. He didn't want to talk to me or even uncover it to have a look.... I snapped a picture and left..... I remember reading somewhere a few years ago that the car was now south of the border.......
Stan. ................

img016.jpg

Stan, you're lucky you didn't get shot at back then. That old coot that had the roadster then was nuttier than a Christmas fruitcake. Shell-shocked from the Korean War, or something like that. We went to look at a 58 Caddy hearse there once, and he chased us out of the yard with his old military Dodge power wagon. He had been known to point rifles if he didn't like you.

How about Canadian cars in CANADIAN magazines? This wasn't a Hot Rod Mag but the September 22 1973 issue of the Star Weekly, newspaper. I believe it was the Canadian Nationals in Burlington but it could have been Sarnia, hard to recall. Anyhow the book was too big to scan so it's going to take three or four scans for you to see everything. I believe I can identify some of these cars. Pretty sure that's Jim Flett's rumble seat T Bucket in the first pic, John Van Dube's 39 tudor, Andy Cunningham's '34 again and that's me sitting in the yellow T Bucket. Don't have quite that much hair these days! My wife and I drove the T Bucket to Tulsa in '73.

StarWeekly1.jpg

Sw3.jpg

SW4.jpg

SW5.jpg

47convert................great shots ! Jim Flett now lives in Maple Ridge although I have not seen him in about 20 years or so.

Yep, I remember when he moved there. My T Bucket had the turtle deck too and barely enough room for a small gas tank and battery. I could never figure out how he did that.

Please cut me some slack on this post guys. This one should really be in my Prince George Supermodified and Sprint Car thread, but this Portland, Oregon car has so many Canadian connections I thought it deserved a shot.
Rolla Vollstedt was born in Saskatchewan but moved to Portland as a young kid. He was involved in oval racing in the 40's to the 80's. He is now in his late 80's and still building cars. The late Grant King helped Rolla on some chassis work and suspension about the same time King moved to Indianapolis to embark on a considerable sprint and champ car building business. He was from Victoria, BC. Len Sutton from Portland was the main driver but the late Billy Foster from Victoria drove this car several times. By then it had a 4 cam Ford V8. Then, Dave Muirhead from Prince George, who was Wild Bill Dagg's mechanic on the PG supermodified went to work for Rolla for at least two seasons as head mechanic when Sutton drove the car. He toured the USAC curcuit. He still lives in PG and I talked to him a couple years back. Now, a Vanouver BC author has written a book about Rolla. U saw this car about 6 years ago at the Sport Car Club of BC Vintage races in Mission. (gosh I have rambled here)
From Hot Rod Magazine March 1964

scan0024.jpg

February 1960 Car Craft. Russ Jackson from Vancouver BC.
I first saw this car at the New Westminster BC parking ramp car show in 1960.I last saw it at Family Afair in Chilliwack about 20 years ago. I am sure that Fordnutz knows where it is today.

scan0027.jpg

I remember Jim Flett's roadster had a gas tank in the trailer. I think it was a secondary tank.

Pat that 32 is still around, and right now i can't remember. I heard who has it and it is somebody we should know.