Model A roof chop help

Martin

Can anyone recommend a place to get the roof on my 29 Model A chopped in the Okanagan Valley (Vernon, Kamloops, kelowna Salmon Arm etc or even further afield) Sticking it on a U-Haul and getting it to a location wouldn't be a problem.
Had one Rod shop tell me it was a thirty to fourty hour job not including the bodywork after the welds were ground down and that the time quoted would "probably" include the doors?
At $85 an hour plus materials and tax that seems quite an expensive proposition, very tempted to have a go myself though I should probably not. Any of you guys out there done a home chop?

Regards
Martin

I'll give it a go !!! Always wanted to "chop" something and my shop rate is cheaper!

Cheers 53chevyply

Determine how much you want to chop it. If, say 4", then put a band of
cardboard across the windshield area, then sit how you want to be in the
car and check your visibility.

I have helped chop 4 cars, two model A's. I don't do the welding. I used
a skil saw with a carbide blade. Goes quick and easy and no mess. You have
to notch the back corners vertically as well.

Surely, someone in the area can be of some assistance. You need to call
a long time friend of mine who lives in Armstrong. Ken 546-2686...while he has
not chopped a car to my knowledge he has been doing this stuff for 50 years.
:)

keith neglected ta tell you that they were drunk when they did it,... an' it was done while the guys wife wuz out playin' bingo or somthin'...... now,.... if you have "ever" saw the 'queen of visa' turn from cuddly lil' wife to bitch from hell when she walked into that shop at 10 pm...... fellas, thats a phenomonen that cleans out a shop faster 'n poop thru a goose!!!!.......

She took the dog for a walk, and Bob never told her he was chopping his
A bone.
When she returned the roof was sitting out on the driveway.

Yeah, it was tense for a while....

did mine in 6 hours, That's welding and grinding included. make sure you do the top cut first, weld braces in also, I also cut the doors at the same time, worked good for me anyway
IMG_6239.jpg

Last edited:
yep, pretty easy, started marking the cuts, and before I had finished my beer the roof was laying on the floor...

"How to chop tops" by Tex Smith has a section on chopping Model "A"s.
Pretty easy really.

the A is probally on of the easier chops to do, your a and b pillars are straight,and there is minamal work to be done in the rear to join the back corners,what was your plans for the roof center?if its a sedan i found the roof off a 80's era ford fairmont wagon to fit real nice,if you dont want to make a panel. there is lots of guys out there that should beable to help you out and shouldnt cost to much,if your gonna try it yourself,realize your limitations,and get help,ive seen lots of nice bodys destroyed by people that thought they knew what they where doing. if i lived closer i would come over and give ya a hand and drink all your beer.

I was thinking for a while to make my sedan body into an extended pick up cab like truck . Anything can be done with some careful measuring and some bracing done indside the body .
get a coupla buddy,s over for a think tank meeting . Guys that are like cabinetmakers , framers , sheet metal guys . Cutting and measureing are like breathing to them . The hardest part of the job is gonna be getting the nerve up to do it , and the welding , the welding is a simple process , but takes lotsa patience .the only other advice is like what was posted before about the cardboard trick on the frt windshield . I think chopped cars are cool but ones I,ve been in where you gotta hunch down to see out the w/shield are kinda a PITA to drive ..77.

The only way to learn is to cut her up..... Do a bit of research , talk to others and lots of reading. It does take time - don't rush it and it will be well worth the time.

Measure lots..... and remeasure.... Take your time and you'll be surprised what you can do.

I chopped my 49 Chevy Sedan and once you make the first cut your pretty much committed. :eek::eek::eek:

I was happy with what I accomplished for my first chop. A great learning experience.

Hammer I love the look of your chop job. I would like to take 4" out of my A coupe. I also like the headers, are they Sanderson? I am putting a 348 in now that I pulled the flathead out, I have to figure out how I'm going mount the "W" engine.....Pete.

Thanks for the complements guys, they are sanderson headers, sort of pricey but well worth the money, very good quality, I haven't worked on the A for a little while, still waiting for an overhead console from Old Car Center that I ordered in Sept. Hope they get it soon....
Ian