Olds Steering Wheel ??

cheyenne

Anyone have one of these they are interested in selling ??

1957 (?) to 1960 Oldsmobile Steering Wheel.
59Olds243.jpg

Last edited:
Hmm built one into a night table a few years back and just heard it was sold last week.... Would have been a really nice wheel too....

Hmm built one into a night table a few years back and just heard it was sold last week.... Would have been a really nice wheel too....

That would be a real interesting piece Chris. I had a friend back in 1963 who had one of those steering wheels in his Model A, he was killed in a rollover in that car and I later bought the wreck. I junked pretty much everything that was damaged on it,...but the steering wheel I saved and had it for years. The last time I seen it,..it was hanging in my mom's garage at the old home place. Probably at the bottom of a landfill site now.

Cheyenne, what column do you have? That wheel will only fit a pre 1968 column, not a 1968 and up GM column. Splines are different.

Cheyenne, what column do you have? That wheel will only fit a pre 1968 column, not a 1968 and up GM column. Splines are different.

OK, Thanks Johnny. I have a '84 Camaro column,...and the Olds column ( considering the year,..the car is a boat ) would be way too long for the application into my Model A. The one that was used in my friends A, was mounted nearly vertical,..where mine will have to go forward to hook up to the shaft on the Cross Steer unit. Thanks for the heads up, appreciate the input.

Wayne

You could modify an original column for the car. That way you would be able to use the steering wheel you want. Most columns use 3/4" round shafting inside them. Grind 2 flat sides onto it to make it into what is called "double D" and use Borgeson joints to hook up the steering column to the box.Just a thought.

I thought about doing that Johnny,...but my eezee - wire harness has a clip / plug in the kit, that will hook up to the later GM columns to give me my signal lights etc.

I definetely have enough Borgeson joints and DD stock to do the job though, lol.

Thank you for the input.

Wayne

Might be able to get an adapter from a company like ididit or American Autowire to make the harness you have work. ididit does install kits for their retrofit columns (which use the modern style GM steering column wire harness plug) to adapt to earlier harnesses. Just a thought.

the olds column is 33 inches long is complete with rag joint and signal hook ups Dont know how to post pictures here can e mail them to you though!

I have a spare '64 Olds steering wheel...it probly isnt in mint shape though. let me know if you're interested.

I have a spare '64 Olds steering wheel...it probly isnt in mint shape though. let me know if you're interested.

Thanks for the offer Press, but I am really looking for a '58 /'60 steering wheel. The '64 Olds steering wheel is close, but the horn button isn't recessed as deep as the earlier wheels. I believe the '58's to '60 all had the real deep spokes,..maybe even '57's.

Wayne