Rack & pinion for Corvair suspension?

Boyd Who

Anyone done a R&P conversion on a Corvair front end? I'm trying to figure out what would be the best one to use as I really need to update the steering in my Essex. I figured I'd ask here first.

Years ago (1970 or so) Corvair was the "in" thing to do.
Unfortunately no matter what you use, the ackerman is never
right and in tight situations, parking, etc there is always tire
squeal. Mine had an MGB deal, but still did not do the job right.
This was in a Model A.

Thank goodness for M11 coming along

Good morning Al,
I did a couple of R&P conversions onto the Corvair I.F.S. a good many years ago, when Corvair was the way to go. It was one of a few available at the time, and sadly, it was far less than ideal. Since then,of course, there are many other options. The most common I believe would be the M11. If at all possible Al, I would try to find room in the budget to replace the Corvair unit with something a little more modern. If anyone else has thoughts on this subject, I'm sure they will chime in. All the best with this project, whichever way you choose to go.

Regards,

Bgbkwndo.

if your scrub line isn't an issue look at a cavalier r&p...are the steering arms pointed forward or back(front or rear steer)??

Right now it's in stock form, so it's front steer. I can always swap the steering arms side to side to make it rear steer.

As for the suggestions to replace the front end with something better...that's in my long term plans. MII is out of the question as I don't like IFS in early model vehicles. I ultimately want to install a dropped I-beam with either split 'bones or hairpins. However, due to financial constraints at the moment, all I can afford to do is replace the stock Corvair steering box with a R&P.

I don't like IFS in early model vehicles. I ultimately want to install a dropped I-beam with either split 'bones or hairpins. .

Thats exactly what I would do!! Dropped I beam is the only way to go in a early car IMO..

Al... I remember someone using a (I think) a Dodge Colt rack. Whatever you do, don't swap the spindles side to side to make it a rear steer.... that will really foul up the ackerman geometry. One way or another it would be nice to update your front end, M-2, beam axle, whatever you want. What situation is currently causing your question about a rack set up? What are you currently using and what is wrong with it? I did see some Corvair set ups that worked very well.
Clarke

front steer ...check out the cavalier rack. the thing steers from the center, mounts easy and links are easily made for custom lengths...i'll dig up some more info for ya..someone would probably like to buy your old corvair box.

Al... I remember someone using a (I think) a Dodge Colt rack. Whatever you do, don't swap the spindles side to side to make it a rear steer.... that will really foul up the ackerman geometry. One way or another it would be nice to update your front end, M-2, beam axle, whatever you want. What situation is currently causing your question about a rack set up? What are you currently using and what is wrong with it? I did see some Corvair set ups that worked very well.
Clarke

The box is really sloppy. I've tried adjusting it with no luck. The stock setup is also really goofy looking, and a R&P would clean things up. I'd post some pics of the installation but it would probably make you guys puke. It works, but it's really ugly. :(

Thats exactly what I would do!! Dropped I beam is the only way to go in a early car IMO..

I've never liked the look of IFS under anything other than fat fendered and newer cars. They certainly work well, I had a MII under my '48 Chevy p/u and it was a dream to drive. However, if I can actually see the front suspension in a car I prefer an old-fashioned axle. :)

Thanks for that link!