Hi, new member from Ontario

vwfanatic

Hi there my name is Dan from the Sudbury area of Ontario. Although I do not own the classic street rod, I do own several "kits" and custom VW based rides. They include a

74 Beetle, 2.0l injected Porsche, Suicude doors
finished005.jpg

68 Ghia, lowered with dual carbbed 1600
DSC_8944_600x399.jpg

74 Thing, stock
IM001922.jpg

76 Westfalia camper, stock
scinor09a.jpg

68 Jeffries Mantaray II Kyote, one of 150 by Hollywood car designer Dean Jeffries
IM001044.jpg

66 Meyers Manx replica
Dsc01742.jpg

66 Meyers Manx
buggytrain.jpg

Self made 76 Double cab
DCFC0499.jpg

75 Bradley GT2, Originally electric, I converted to Chevy Corvair rear engine, Now converting to 2.2 Subaru mid engine.
DSC_3408_1024x681.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome from the far north. Nice looking rigs! You don't have to have anything old to jump in and have fun here. In fact, it's probably a blessing since you'll have less rust to deal with. :D

Welcome Dan, good to have you here.
Nice stable of Dubs, all nice rides.
I particularly like the Ghia and Manx Replica.
I've owned a couple bugs in my day.

Welcome, mate it looks like you have the car fever alright so it is good to see you here those Karman Ghia's are a neat looking thing.

RustyOlds and myself were in your home town last year when the Canadianrodder tour came through, pretty interesting place. There are some pretty neat guys there as well who are right into great rides as well.

Welcome to this great site VWfanatic .The green van in the pic with the Manx buggy looks like 55Bloods wifes van.Had two 74 Beetles myself.:cool:

Welcome and a big howdee from the No.5 party place in the world...Calgary.

If I din't know any better, I think you like Volks.

Welcome vwfanatic,great looking rides
allways loved VW'S. Owned a 54 oval myself in the past and currently
have a 32 alpha replica based on a 66 chassis
Love the Thing !!! wish I could get my hands on one:D

Welcome to the forum
You've got a some interesting cars. Nothing wrong with the old VW's, I've done a few myself. Here is on I did a while back
01.jpg
16.jpg

Sorry for the self promotion on these pictures. Every one I have has the name on them. Oops

Welcome VWfan. That first pic of the bug, it says suicide doors, did you leave the door handles in the stock location? If so nice trick...

Welcome VWfan. That first pic of the bug, it says suicide doors, did you leave the door handles in the stock location? If so nice trick...

Actually it should read suicide door. The pass side is stock as I did not want the kids to accidentally open it on the road. Freaks people out when both doors are open.
Yes handle is in stock location as are the "modified" stock hinges. Electric actuator.
DCFC0394.jpg

I tend to put odd ideas into my rides, The Manx clone has a power trunk, real police siren and flashing headlights {alarm system only} and rotating rear license plate. When the engine is off, the rear plate is a real California plate GR8 YF. When running it displays my Ont plate. Power fuel access door as well.
Dsc01730-1.jpg

IM001232.jpg

Last edited:
rotating rear license plate. When the engine is off, the rear plate is a real California plate GR8 YF. When running it displays my Ont plate.
Dsc01730-1.jpg

I had a similar idea for my Studie.
My thought was to build a triangular box platform and the licence plate would mount on one of the triangle surfaces, it would then rotate the plate around in one direction drawing the plate in and behind the body, at the same time rotating and exposing an opposite side of the triangle when the key is turned off, then reversing back in the opposite direction exposing the plate once again when the key is turned on using a push / pull actuator.
How did you do yours ?

Last edited:
The plate rotates around the center horizontal axis. A power window motor from the rear popouts of a late 80s Caravan operates it. Motor is under the body with cables going to actuator tucked behind the tail light. A piece of rubber hose runs from the actuator to a pin on the side of the plate. 2 Limit switches on the plate pivot pins and 2 relays control it.

Welcome to the forum.

My neighbor is going to be doing up his family's old beetle in the next year or two. We will probably be seeking advice from you.

Regarding the pivoting license plate, I always wondered if a hideaway headlight mechanism could be modified for that purpose.

Welcome to the site, Great VW's!! I have always enjoyed the little beasts :D
My first was a '56 oval window, completely stock....then into street/off road Baja's....cookin a deal for a single cab right now.
Cool cars, and cool people here.
Greg

Thanks for all the compliments. Feel free to ask for any help you may need. For those interested in a bit of buggy history, I designed a website when I reasearched my first buggy. The 68 Dean Jeffries Mantaray II Kyote. Some links are dead as geocities shut down. Fortunately reocities has revived most of geocities mut it is uneditable. It can be found at http://www.reocities.com/baja/desert/7445/

I also documented the build of my Bradley conversion to rear engine reverse rotation Corvair. http://bradleygt.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=474

Here is the Bradley conversion to mid engine Subaru. Should be test driving it next week. http://bradleygt.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=1051

Enjoy.