engine sin

SHIZMIT'58

Where will I find the serial # on a Ford 351 W. i would like to find out the year of engine. Thanks in advance:confused: Frank

Not really. It is my understanding that Ford did not use the “number matching” engine serial number that the gold chain-ers love to yap about.;)

Yes, the first character casting number will narrow it down within a ten year period and the second will sometimes narrow it further but if there are no retooling or recasting of the particular part. then that casting number could be used for ten years or more. Ford did not change the seconded character every year, only when retooling.
:)

Lower left side of block there should be date codes that will tell you exactly when your block was manufactured. Should be a 5 digit letter/number deal.

Where will I find the serial # on a Ford 351 W. i would like to find out the year of engine. Thanks in advance:confused: Frank

Ford started stamping a PARTIAL vehicle VIN on engine blocks mid/late 60s. On V8s you'll find a machined pad on upper left rear of engine block just below LH cyl head. Stamped digit sequence is #, letter, ###### (8 total). On a numbers matching vehicle/engine combo, engine 1st, 2nd & last 6 digits will match same (1st, 2nd & last 6) on vehicle (11 digit) VIN; thus being partial. Because someone had to manually stamp.......... inconsistencies happened. Get back to me here for interpretation if needed.

FYI; there's a world of difference between Ford casting numbers, tag numbers & stamped numbers, even though 2 or all often use same syntax. Best wishes!

Lower left side of block there should be date codes that will tell you exactly when your block was manufactured. Should be a 5 digit letter/number deal.

That would be lower RIGHT on V8s above pan rail behind starter. Those are casting numbers; the date sequence there is when the block was CAST. Assembly (manufacture?) date would be on a tag attached on the upper engine (carb mount?) somewhere; majority of which are long gone. Date engine was installed in a chassis will be different again.