Old 05-03-2012, 08:06 PM
Senior Poster

Default Tiring not so easily

On my 52 Merc pickup I have odd wheels and tires so I thought I'd look for replacements. I went to 5 different auto wreckers looking for 5x5.5 bolt pattern on either 16 or 15 inch rims.
On the 15" rims side of things, Seems for $100 you get 4 rusty rims without tires, stuff you probably couldn't give away at a garage sale but $100 none the less.
One place seemed less than impressed that I was looking for something cheapish as opposed to spending loads and then became a little less than helpfull.
I did find a set of F150 mags that would have probably looked ok but they were $300, needed a good buffing and then the tires priced out getting close to $900, yoiks.
Then found some older white (ish) 16" wheels that looked more in keeping with original style for $120 but again a set of light truck tires still ran in a $650. What I really didn't get was the $28 per wheel to balance them.
I guess I'm just really out of touch with prices, I thought that $400 ish would get me a set of nice ish wheels with half decent, rubber, oops I guess not
Old 05-03-2012, 08:31 PM
Senior Poster

Have patience and change where you are looking, wrecking yards have wages and overhead to pay, I have seen the prices that you are looking for on Kijiji but the listings change by the moment so you have to stay on top of it ..........and also I scored after much searching and waiting and looking on eBay, (4 new Foose wheels with tires shipped prepaid from the USA for $ 1200.00)
Old 05-03-2012, 09:18 PM
Intermediate Poster

Default Tires

Keep your eyes open for a tire machine I scored an old coats 1010 for $100.00 that also came with a balancer a few years ago. I woud'nt recommend it for mags or the new 18s or 20s . Its from the 50s or 60s I used the same machine working in a service station in Calgary in the late 60s. This thing has saved me hundreds over the years as well as gotten me lots of beer from my friends.

Last edited by fergie; 05-03-2012 at 09:35 PM.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:21 PM
Senior Poster

Check Craigslist Vancouver.
Type in hot rod in the search, there will be something waiting for you.