Go Back   Canadian Rodder Hot Rod Community Forum > General B.S. > Discussion / Chat

Old 04-15-2012, 03:15 PM
Intermediate Poster

I guess working class has a point . If we were to follow trends we would,t be rodders we have to be outside the line and follow what our hearts are content with. If we followed the crowd we wouldn't have hot rods. Heck do you think the first coupe chepped to roadster was following a trend , or why take a working engine out of a car and replace it with one with alot more power flat head or not? Thats what makes us rodders we dont abide by the "common sense" and we make our own trends, even though we don't realise it at the time (old school wasn;t built as Old school at the time)
Old 04-15-2012, 03:52 PM
Senior Poster

Trends come and go but Hot Rodding and Customizing are always present.
Read a lot mags, go to different rod runs and build what you want to build.
Copying what someone else has done is fine but real rodding is what you do.

Agree with working class "we don't need no stinking trends".

"As seen from a different perspective! "

Three Monkeys CC
Old 04-15-2012, 06:30 PM
Senior Poster

You know it is not a matter of trends but what you really want to build, I built my 33 roadster because it is the car I always wanted to build as in that style etc, but now I am moving onto a different thing totally, we started mocking up my A on the weekend and it will be an opposite to the 33.

Moral of the story just build what you feel comfortable with, there is no correct way or wrong way just so long as the car is well constructed, hi boy low boy what ever suits your pocket as well.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:32 PM
Intermediate Poster

Default Trends ??

Iv always been uncomfortable with the word tradition &thies primer or rat type cars being used together. Thier was a lot of fadded paint on cars back then . LOL. Primer was not a paint .If your car was still in primer it ment you where working on it ,Didnt know how to finish it or ran out of $$ . Most race sanctioning . bodys never allowed primer cars to compete & never seen in most car shows unless in a uncompleted class. Primer Paint is the trend .Of coarse I drank alot back then . Gord

Last edited by gbagitator; 04-15-2012 at 09:42 PM.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:38 PM
Intermediate Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbagitator View Post
. Most race sanctioning bodys never allowed primer cars to compete & never seen in most car shows then . Gord
They used to allow us to run primered cars (drag racing) but the payout was greatly reduced.
That was more the decision of the race track back then.

Mike
Old 04-15-2012, 10:59 PM
Senior Poster

When ever you build something to please someone else you are sure to fail. Trends are for normal people who care what others think of them.Next big trend heads up text msg. Only a nut case would think of it ,pull it off and watch them line up.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:13 PM
Intermediate Poster

Default Niag penn

Ill be around my old home town Fonthill the 1st 2 wks of June Any garage tours guys ?? gdbradley@shaw.ca
Old 04-19-2012, 09:37 PM
Senior Poster

Most race sanctioning . bodys never allowed primer cars to compete & never seen in most car shows unless in a uncompleted class.

I have never been part of any sanctioned body. I think the only reason some body or organization would care about shinny paint would be because they are more worried about ascetics over function. Doesn't make much sense to me if your car is safe who cares what it looks like. Maybe back in the old days when drag racing was just starting out they wanted to put a candy coating so the nay Sayers would not have anything to criticize. Hope we have gotten past that after 50 plus years. As for car shows most real street driven cars and car guys I know didnt build to win a car show. The phenomena of the rat rod and primer cars was a back lash to the trendy over the top mega dollar cars that were getting all the press. Primer was also called anti gloss and is a fun part of the hobby . Hope the trendy followers go find some were else to go so I can go back to my non trendy primer lover self.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:43 PM
Intermediate Poster

been seeing a lot of gassers, not my cup of tea, but there is a ton of them out there nowadays
Old 04-19-2012, 09:47 PM
Senior Poster

Who ever thinks the Rat rod 'trend' has gone isn't following car show reviews.
Seems the major 'rat' shows across the border are getting bigger and bigger.
I'm a dedicated follower of fashion not a trendsetter.
I think we will see more and more small cubic inch high horsepower motors being slid between the frame rails of Rods.