Canadian cars in U.S. mags 50's and 60's

This is the Pineapple Princess, featured in Rod and Custom in the 60's. This was taken at Superrun in Saskatoon in the early 2000's and the car is unchanged. It sold and disappeared now. Pat.

Aug18_16.jpg

Here is a pic of a Vancouver area roadster taken from some show coverage in either Car Craft or Rod and Custom in the sixties. I think this is the one a buddy of mine owned in the very early 70's. It was candy green then and still had the hemi. He painted it yellow and it has disappeared. Pat.

scan0021.jpg

Anybody have any more info, pics, articles on this roadster? I am not usually a fan of roadsters but that is a cool little car! Also, what are the rear wheels and where can I get some?!

Pat

The Pineapple Princess spent many years in Kitimat and Prince George.

The former PG owner, Dwaine H currently has a steel chopped 32 3 window.
I too, saw the car a super run.............Original Metalflake Paint !!!!!!!!

The car was built in Calgary, eventually wound up in Fort St John where it was sold at auction and purchased by an
RCMP officer who moved to Kitimat, then owned the OK Tire store there.

PS: Pat...........THANKS for joining in and posting articles on this thread !!!!

Last edited:
Interesting story on the hemi channelled A roadster when my buddy had it. His friend was standing at the cowl at the side and leaning over the engine compartment manually pulling the throttle revving it up when the clutch exploded and came up thru the cowl and almost took his head off. Unreal sized hole in the cowl. Really close call. At that time the car lived one block east of Fraser street in Vancouver between 41st and 49th. I lived at 45th and Main at the time. 70-73 Thanks for the update on the Pineapple Princess Keith. I didn't know the history of it, but I had heard it spent time in BC. Pat.

Custom Cars, Jan 1959

Here is Fred Welsh's "Treasure" 40 sedan before it became an absolute show winner up and down the west coast. I first saw it drag racing at Abbotsford airport in 1956 !!!
It later was redone with a chrome frame and suspension. The fellow that bought it from Fred some 35 plus years ago still has it, sequestered away in a garage in the Vernon area.

scan0011-3.jpg

Brian, at least we know it is a survivor !!!:)

I was on a garage tour at the time with guys from the VCCA in Kamloops, we went to this fellows house and the car was in a garage along with a stock Model T. Was in great shape.

Someone in that picture of the yellow roadster looks familiar hmmm begins with a B Bob?

Mark, that was at the Poppy Car Show in '96. The T lives in a garage just a couple of blocks from me.

Pat you could fill a couple of pages with all the great pics you have of the old days. It's a good thing that you took the time to record all this history.:D

Brian

Thanks to you for posting up stuff. It looks like Pat's last post was from a
BCCCA motorama programme. I wish I had some of those.

Time for some east coast guys to post up some stuff. I have a couple of Ontario cars to post shortly.

Brian

Thanks to you for posting up stuff. It looks like Pat's last post was from a
BCCCA motorama programme. I wish I had some of those.

Time for some east coast guys to post up some stuff. I have a couple of Ontario cars to post shortly.

I like to help where i can.

Pat, do you have any pics of Gordie Copp's roadster in its earlier years? When it was yellow and had those Caddy tailights mounted verticaly in the rear pan? I think it was full fendered in the late sixties, it was a car show regular from Burnaby at that time.

Fred Welsh's sedan was a car I saw at a lot of the Motorsports shows in Vancouver, and I can still remember drooling over it every time I saw it. I was thinking about it when I first started reading this thread. Thanks for the pics!

DFR

I have several articles on that car, and then I will post up. Will get to em in time !!!

Brian, here is Gordie Copp's yellow roadster in about 1971 when Norm Abrahams still owned it before Gordie got it off him. Full fendered and channelled. I have some other pics of it when Geordie rebuilt it as a channelled yellow fenderless car. Then Gordie got run off the road and totalled it and rebuilt it as a full fendered stock looking resto rod painted light and dark blue. My other pics of the car need to be scanned. I have thousands of pics to scan someday. Pat.

scan0042.jpg

scan0025.jpg

Keith, here is another pic of Fred Welsh's "Treasure" 40 Ford four door sedan. Chromed frame, blown small block, Lincoln quad headlites and Caddy tailites. Fred was a painter so the car was forever changing colors. This first pic is in the fifties in New Westminster, I think you mentioned you were there. Pat.

6761.jpg

This not so good pic I think was from the 40th anniversary Vancouver car show.

scan0032.jpg

Fred's car today with the new owner, same guy that bought it off Fred years ago.

105-0577_IMG_detail.jpg

105-0585_IMG_detail.jpg

105-0586_IMG_detail.jpg

Just found this nice one of Treasure in it's prime. Winningest show car in the Pacific Northwest. This is a model someone built of the car.

DSCN6416-vi.jpg

FredWelshTreasure40Ford4-door.jpg

Last edited:
Great shots, Pat

Yup, that was a car show held in the parking ramp in New Westminster in
1960. My '51 Meteor was well down the aisle away from all the "real" hot rods.:)

All I'm gonna say about this thread, guys, is......................................way too freakin' cool!Keep it comin'!

Feb '59 Custom Cars....an article on how to put '58 Chevy headlights into a '55 Chevy. The car was Milt Goodman's and was an awesome piece in the Vancouver area. I have no idea where it ever went and I last saw it in 1963 or so. Milt went on to race Formula Fords at Westwood Race track and throughout the Pacific Northwest. I will post a feature on the car when I find it !!!

scan0003-6.jpg

Keith, I transferred over a 1000 pics to photobucket tonite, so should have some of the ones you need. I will watch your posts. Here is Milt's chev top rite in an old show program from the 50's.

page005.jpg

MiltGoodman55chevinthe60s.jpg

gOODMANS20lil20DEVIL.jpg

April 1959 Car Craft. Cliff Rich's T Coupe. Cliff is in his late 70's and still building Hot Rods in the Chilliwack, BC area.
I wonder where the car went. Rollie C was supposed to know............

scan0013-2.jpg

[.

scan0042.jpg

scan0025.jpg
[/QUOTE]

WOW! No one would ever recognise Gordie's roadster now. More of a resto-rod, and the quality has really improved a lot.