replacing wood in GM cars pre 1935?

doublez

replacing wood in GM cars pre 1935? I beleive 1934 was the last year for the wood in GM cars .........correct? I was also told they were vitually craftsmen the way they installed it at the factory. I was also told kits are available to replace the wood.
So whats involved and what are the pitfalls in doing this?

37 was the first year for an all steel body for Chevy...Redoing the wood is a big job ,,but its not all that complicated..

...if you're building a hot rod, I would say 'why?' If you're building a 100 point restoration job, I'd say "you have to".....

I should have rephrased that better....Redoing the wood and replacing it with steel..is a big job but not all that complicated.....Most wood kits are available but are very pricey...FOr my 30 chev sport coupe the wood kit was $2500...So i went and bought some 1x1 tube and some 1x2 and went to town.... I had a $150 tied up in it for the tube and some sheet metal

Last edited:
gm wood

I have a 36 Buick coupe that has NO wood left in it, so I am going to build an inner substructure out of 1 inch square tubing ...Larry.

37 was the first year for an all steel body for Chevy.....
Actually in 36 the standard Chev was steel but the master was still still full of wood..in 37 all models were steel ..
and yes there are complete wood kits available, If your handy I would agree to go with tubing..I have some pics around for one I did back some years ago I will try to find them if you get going on the project...but if your not a welder and you do not have the tools and skills it may be cheaper in the long run to replace the wood..Replacing all the wood with steel is a lot of work but well worth it if your building a rod.. that's a decision you will have to make when you weigh all the pros and cons.. usually its mostly the door wood and the A & B pillars that rot I have done them both ways

the 36 chev coupe like I am building had wood in the doors and also wood framing for the body door structure, wood framing around the quarter widows and the rear deck framing is also wood. Wood kits are very expensive. I have used 16ga to box the body door frames etc. It takes time and can be frustrating but is very solid and does not add a bunch of lbs.

HPIM0270.jpg

.....i'm sure a lot would depend on how much of the wood is left for patterns , in steel or wood...i used to build chairs and sofas for a living ..wood is easy...steel is easier plus you still have to fasten the panel to something... steel spot welds are way better than tacks and screws in wood...my .02

Street Rodder had an article showing a fellow replacing all the wood in some chev coupe doors with steel, can't pin down the issue from memory, but I'm thinking it was within the last year??

***Looks like it ran in the April/09 & May/09 Issues??

1935 Chevy Gets Wood Removed- Deforestation

http://www.streetrodderweb.com/tech/0904sr_1935_chevy_wood_removed/index.html

1935 Chevy Gets Wood Removed- Deforestation Part II

http://www.streetrodderweb.com/tech/0905sr_1935_chevy_wood_removed/index.html

HTH
James

Good articles Scotty..just click on any of the pics for more info of the build..

34 wood

i removed the wood from my 34 chev master 5 window coupe and replaced it all with thinwall 1x1 tubing and 1x1/2 inch thinwall tubing. i used in excess of 175 linear ft of tube. it is very time consuming and takes quite a bit of thought and planning,but well worth the effort.I have a 33 3 window master coupe i am in the planning stages now .will remove the wood in this car also.
i also have a 34 pu truck which i am going to put back to original ,most of the wood is good will either purchase a few pieces or try to make them.
i have pictures of the replacment but i dont know how to post them pm me your email and i can send them over

It's well worth replacing the wood with metal. That way you have a solid structure for your body. I built the framework using flat bar and straight pieces on my '34 so you can follow the contours of the body. This worked really well.

Actually in 36 the standard Chev was steel but the master was still still full of wood..in 37 all models were steel ..
and yes there are complete wood kits available, If your handy I would agree to go with tubing..I have some pics around for one I did back some years ago I will try to find them if you get going on the project...but if your not a welder and you do not have the tools and skills it may be cheaper in the long run to replace the wood..Replacing all the wood with steel is a lot of work but well worth it if your building a rod.. that's a decision you will have to make when you weigh all the pros and cons.. usually its mostly the door wood and the A & B pillars that rot I have done them both ways

About half way through production in 36 chevy they switched the doors to all steel and cut out a few other pieces of wood in both standard & master models.I have 3 ,36 chevy cars & 2 ,34 chevy trucks .I have been replacing the wood with 1x1 light wall tubing.

Thanks for all the great replies. I am at least 1 year away from my next project so I am gathering info before I decide what it may be. I am confident I can handle the fab work but as a newbie I was not 100% sure as to how much wood was in them,
So if a guy found a 33 or 34 or even a 31 or 32 with rotten wood what is the low and high value?

Look in the adds I have been trying to sell a 5 window 34 that needs exactily what you are saying for 2 grand so as of now they arnt worth 2 grand to anyone on this site. But it worth at least 1500.00 for me to keep it as yard art and maybe a future rat rod.;)

Chevcrazy
About half way through production in 36 chevy they switched the doors to all steel and cut out a few other pieces of wood in both standard & master models.
They did in the Standard but not the master...

I have had a 36 master chevy for 30 years..actually more than one and I have searched the world and never heard of or seen a 36 master at least in the 2dr c-dan that had a steel door I have a factory parts body and parts manual and there is no steel dr for the 36 master listed in the manual nor in all the years I have looked or wished I could never find one or heard of any...I have heard the rumor and some guys thought they heard that but if they did I know about a hundred other guys with 36 masters that would like to see one ..I know lots of guys have done the conversion to steel tubing including me but it is a lot of work and time ..If your doing a rod I would do it to..I have known several guys who just did the doors and the pillars as the stuff around the windows is not usually rotted to bad..I have also made patterns of the old wood and made new wood to install into them as well

doublez.. Here is an ad where I found a guy selling a wood kit for cheap for a 36 Chevy master 2dr..

36 chev master deluxe door wood kit For Sale $325.00
I have a wood replacement kit for the doors that fits a 36 chev master deluxe tudor. It's a trunkback model. Also fits a slantback. this is a nice oak kit that was in the trunk of a 36 that I bought. I'm using steel tubing instead of wood. What you see in the picture is what is included. There are some small (approx. 1"x1") blocks missing but those are easy to make. usually, a kit like this has to be made and takes a month or so to get. E-mail me for a picture as I can't get the picture to load. rotory.1@netzero.net

If your looking his e-mail is in the ad...