Calgary race track in the near future?

If you hold your breath waiting for the answer, people are likely to mistake you for BARNEY.........

http://www.performance-shop.com/showthread.php?t=47473

Article from above link, appears to be same info as GM Rodders link.....

BOTH articles end with same statment:

"While Keating expressed optimism that the new motorsports park would be able to service racing all the way up to NASCAR levels, Coutts said analysis of the economics surrounding such events has left his group “doubtful.”"

On a sad note this is what has happened to Race City. :(
Farewell Race City

http://www.beyond.ca/farewell-race-city/13971.html

That is sad. I spent every second weekend at that track for most of my child hood and as a teenager. Thats where I won my first drag race event, on Fathers Day in 1996. I still have the 1st place trophy, and somewhere I have a picture of my Dad and I standing next to my car with the trophy.
In 1998 I won the season championship, not only for my class, but for the track championship, as well as the Calgary Drag Racing Association championship.
Even last summer, my best run of the year (9.33 @ 138mph) was at Race City.
When I first started hanging out there, (early 90's) it was a world class, state of the art track. I met Don Garlits, Shirley Muldowney, Bill Maverick, and many other legends there. I watched it become run down over the years, and now it's eventually turned to this....

Lee, I'm with you on all the memories there! This will be a sad summer without it and will be missed! :(

Rodder29, Rimbey's track is in perpetual progress. Haven't heard much other than the report that the paving was to be completed by end of July. I hope they are still on schedule.

As posted in the Metro News today and on TV:

$27 million dollar motorsports park proposed northeast of Airdrie on 3000 acres.
Dubbed the Rockyview Motorsports Park, would be built with a drag strip, 4.5 kilometre race track and a g0-kart track. Future development may include an oval track and ice racing course.
Opening date in 2014.

However, several hurdles must be overcome as its in farmland and several area councillors have gone on record against it.

Last edited:
"Plans for the development includes an executive airport"

Ok first of all Airdrie already has an airport. The airdrie Airpark. I used to work for one of the group owners of the Airdrie Airpark and they spent years in the courts fighting applications from surrounding residents to prevent any expansion they had planned.

Second, any executive traffic will go to Calgary's airport anyway to one of the two existing FBOs, Shell and Esso Avitat. They have been around for years and know how to treat the business aircraft market.

I hope the racetrack portion goes ahead (although I have my pessimistic doubts it will ever fly, no pun intended) but the airport is never going to happen. I've worked in aviation for 24 years and I've seen a lot of dreams come and go.

New Race Track ?

Yesterday I was allowed to read a copy (read only - NOT COPY) of a proposal document for the new facility. It was very "slick."
It was an investment group I have never heard of before.

It basically dealt with the share structure of and for the investors.

Unless you have VERY deep pockets (starting at $1,000,000.00) you probably will not see much development for a LONG TIME.

More attention was given to the condominium suites that shareholders would be eligible for, than anything to do with the race plant, or airport.

My take on the document was B.B.B. (Bullshit Baffles Brains) and how it might be interpreted as a Ponzi Scheme. (notice I said MIGHT)

Rocky View Motorsports Park update

I was talking to "someone in the know" at the Cochrane show about the new drag track and wondering if it will ever get off the ground.
They said that the money is in the bank, plans are in development but the biggest obstacle will be obtaining a water license for the facility.

In Alberta, there are no new water licenses granted, so if a development needs water, it has to "buy" someone else's water licenses or make other arrangements to get water.

That is the priority at the moment and could kill the project if they can't make a "deal" with someone. No water, no track.

At the Quarry Park show a few weeks ago, a few of the principals manned a booth handing out information on the Founders Clubs memberships.

I hope this track gets built by 2014.

Apparently the Friday and Saturday street races in an industrial area are attracting upwards of 200 racers each night, with some dedicated strip cars in attendance. Speeds are getting dangerous.

Last edited:
Maenwhile, at the complete other end of the financial spectrum, a small but dedicated group have slowly been raising funds in RIMBEY, and after several years, have finally started pouring concrete.......progress has been slow, because they are only spending money THEY HAVE. Work progresses as additional funds are raised.......

http://www.performance-shop.com/showthread.php?t=48204&page=3

http://www.mhdra.com/20120623/forum_posts.asp?TID=2660&PN=1

206307_420066388053115_286293606_n.jpg

308181_420066121386475_634100062_n.jpg

3451_3162167751858_1798131203_n.jpg

Thanks for the posts James.
Those pics give me a big smile that they are now working on the dragstrip surface and paving can't be far off now. :D:D:D