What are the latest trends?

Relic

What are the newest trends lately in regards to car/hotrod building? We've seen the r#t r*d come and go, i heard fenders are in? Fat is where its at? Layin frames and ?

Whats YOUR theory....whats up next?

Resurgence or cloning of the old favorites, customs, hot rods, gassers and Roth cars (bubble tops, etc.). At least that's what I'm seeing.
As for the younger hot rodders, rat rods, but ones that are well engineered and safe.

I don't really follow trends. I've always been drawn to the "traditional" look so that's what I try to build. One current trend that I hope drops off soon is the huge wheels with rubber-band tires look. That might be ok on a modern car but I think it looks ridiculous on anything older than the 90's.

Personally, my trend has been reorganizing and shuffling stuff around while simultaneously not getting cars done:(. Having to constantly repair or maintain 5 daily drivers is a huge distraction too!(my two, wife's, daughter's and son's - it's crazy!:eek:).

...but, if I could just jump right in and build, build, build: the Cougar would finally get that long awaited AOD upgrade:rolleyes:, The Ranchero Squire would get a water pump to get back to punishing those BFGs:p, the Gasser project would get back on track, the '62 Falcon(that hasn't arrived yet) would quickly become a SASS (Stock Appearing Street Sleeper -shhh, don't tell ANYONE!:cool:).
After all of these are good to go, I would prioritize the remaining 45 cars and knock them down one by one:).

I really like the look of original paint and body, and then updating the drivetrain and undercarriage, and then driving the thing. There have been a few buildups on HAMB that guys have done amazing work on nice original cars - motors, suspension, interior, and leaving the body and paint 'as found'. I hope to do this with my panel, only because I'm too cheap to pay a bazillion bucks for paint :)
The 'rat' trend is slowly making way for cars that look 'ratty' but under closer inspection show really well constructed, roadworthy cars. The 32 pickup at the Majestics show this weekend is a good example. Looks ratty, but there was no danger of flying aprts when it was going down the road.

I really like the look of original paint and body, and then updating the drivetrain and undercarriage, and then driving the thing. There have been a few buildups on HAMB that guys have done amazing work on nice original cars - motors, suspension, interior, and leaving the body and paint 'as found'. I hope to do this with my panel, only because I'm too cheap to pay a bazillion bucks for paint :)

I agree with this look. If i hadn't decided to paint my project it would probably be on the road by now. The weeks and months of sanding and sanding, plus the expence of the painting of it, just wasn't worth the trouble that i still have with it.
If i had just used tinted primer as usual it would have saved so much time and effert. Plus now i will worry about it in parking lots and having to keep it looking good. I am not a wash and wax, and detail type of guy i just want to build and drive somewhere.

I really like the look of original paint and body, and then updating the drivetrain and undercarriage, and then driving the thing. There have been a few buildups on HAMB that guys have done amazing work on nice original cars - motors, suspension, interior, and leaving the body and paint 'as found'.

The 'rat' trend is slowly making way for cars that look 'ratty' but under closer inspection show really well constructed, roadworthy cars. The 32 pickup at the Majestics show this weekend is a good example. Looks ratty, but there was no danger of flying aprts when it was going down the road.

That's the way I use to build all my rides before getting back into it with the HRT. No bodywork or re-paints, but then the cars were somewhat in better shape, sort of.

The so-called "rat rods" have evolved and are quite well engineered and put together. Some even have "shiny" paint.

Oh yes, there are still the "shock" rods with their blenders and outboard motor housings, etc.

As to the other part of the question: classic looking rides will always be timeless...

Last edited:
trends

I expext to see the laying frame guys come to show and shines with shovles to dig a hole to put thier car in because Ya gota be lower. I expect to see the chopped roof guys take it one step farther and lower the roof so far there are no windows. Chopped and sitting low is great and I love it but too much of a good thing turns a nice car into a cartoon car. We all strive to be different but if you take different too far then it's just wierd. It's a fine line between different and wierd. I have proved that many times in my life by all the thing I had to re do? Regards AL C

Trends we dont need no stinkin trends. Never been trendy never will be trendy never want to be trendy:eek:. I hate trendy maybe the pastel pink will come back:rolleyes:

I guess working class has a point . If we were to follow trends we would,t be rodders we have to be outside the line and follow what our hearts are content with. If we followed the crowd we wouldn't have hot rods. Heck do you think the first coupe chepped to roadster was following a trend , or why take a working engine out of a car and replace it with one with alot more power flat head or not? Thats what makes us rodders we dont abide by the "common sense" and we make our own trends, even though we don't realise it at the time (old school wasn;t built as Old school at the time):D

Trends come and go but Hot Rodding and Customizing are always present.
Read a lot mags, go to different rod runs and build what you want to build.
Copying what someone else has done is fine but real rodding is what you do.:cool:

Agree with working class "we don't need no stinking trends". :D

You know it is not a matter of trends but what you really want to build, I built my 33 roadster because it is the car I always wanted to build as in that style etc, but now I am moving onto a different thing totally, we started mocking up my A on the weekend and it will be an opposite to the 33.

Moral of the story just build what you feel comfortable with, there is no correct way or wrong way just so long as the car is well constructed, hi boy low boy what ever suits your pocket as well.

Trends ??

Iv always been uncomfortable with the word tradition &thies primer or rat type cars being used together. Thier was a lot of fadded paint on cars back then . LOL. Primer was not a paint .If your car was still in primer it ment you where working on it ,Didnt know how to finish it or ran out of $$ . Most race sanctioning . bodys never allowed primer cars to compete & never seen in most car shows unless in a uncompleted class. Primer Paint is the trend .Of coarse I drank alot back then . Gord

Last edited:
. Most race sanctioning bodys never allowed primer cars to compete & never seen in most car shows then . Gord

They used to allow us to run primered cars (drag racing) but the payout was greatly reduced.
That was more the decision of the race track back then.

Mike

When ever you build something to please someone else you are sure to fail. Trends are for normal people who care what others think of them.Next big trend heads up text msg. Only a nut case would think of it ,pull it off and watch them line up.

Most race sanctioning . bodys never allowed primer cars to compete & never seen in most car shows unless in a uncompleted class.

I have never been part of any sanctioned body. I think the only reason some body or organization would care about shinny paint would be because they are more worried about ascetics over function. Doesn't make much sense to me if your car is safe who cares what it looks like. Maybe back in the old days when drag racing was just starting out they wanted to put a candy coating so the nay Sayers would not have anything to criticize. Hope we have gotten past that after 50 plus years. As for car shows most real street driven cars and car guys I know didnt build to win a car show. The phenomena of the rat rod and primer cars was a back lash to the trendy over the top mega dollar cars that were getting all the press. Primer was also called anti gloss and is a fun part of the hobby . Hope the trendy followers go find some were else to go so I can go back to my non trendy primer lover self.

Who ever thinks the Rat rod 'trend' has gone isn't following car show reviews.
Seems the major 'rat' shows across the border are getting bigger and bigger.
I'm a dedicated follower of fashion not a trendsetter.:D
I think we will see more and more small cubic inch high horsepower motors being slid between the frame rails of Rods.